Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 15, 2004, 9:31 AM   #1

I would like to buy a flash unit to go with my rebel

and would like to keep the price around a $100?

Any suggestions?

Geno
genohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:19 AM   #2

If you are looking to stick with Canon then, the Speedlite 220EX might work for you.

http://www.adorama.com/CA220EX.html

It works with E-TTL but doesn't have an adjustable flash head, it is a direct flash only. I'm not sure of other brands.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:32 AM   #3
NHL

If you can set the camera's shutter and aperture, you have the flexibility of using almost any auto thrysistor flashes which are both powerful and affordable.

The auto mode is now transfered to the flash instead of the camera
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 6:54 PM   #4

Hey, NHL...

Does the Sigma 500DG you like so much offer non TTL Auto operation? I'm starting to grow a little frustrated with having to deal with the ETTL only Canon units. It's one of the few things I miss from the Nikon system units I used to use with my F4. Non-TTL auto seemed to work more consistently for me, especially outdoors in fill situations. I still want to be able to dial back into ETTL when I want without having to change units. Metz is always an option, but their units are more expensive than Canon.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 5:00 AM   #5
NHL

There's no 'Auto' mode on the Sigma EF500DG Super. It does not have a built-in sensor/thrysistor mode like the Metz units.

What it has however is a built-in computer which will compute the distance as soon as you mounted the EF500DG on the camera's hot-shoe (It reads the current aperture and ISO settings from the camera) -> In the non E-TTL mode you just have to hit the +/- key on the unit back to match the lens distance to its rear LCD panel, or compensate for the flash output this way.

Unlike the Metz, the Sigma will retain the wireless mode in both E-TTL and non E-TTL modes. The non E-TTL wireless mode is quite handy and will work with any camera systems or studio strobes and will retain the above handy computational feature (on or off the camera).
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote