Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:21 PM   #1

OK have been shooting with the Nikon 5400 and there are not a good number of ISO settings available and it does not do well under low light conditions. I have a Canon ELAN 7 in which I could use the same lenses if I were to purchase a DSLR.

However my question is

1)Will going to a 10 or 20D help in low light conditions? I saw some of the 20D samples (the football player) and I noticed quite a bit of noise in it.

2)Shots take inside focused on someone inside... The window is all white. Would going to a cmaera with more ISO settings help with this issue (I forgot the term) I know there are ways to take multiple shots and merge the shots together but that is not what I am going for here.

I looked at the Dig Rebel and it didnt seem like it has all the ISO settings I was looking for.

As a side note reviewing some cameras again by Steve... Does he own alot of cameras? It seems every camera review I have read from non slrs > slrs have a great rating with very few problems???

Thanks

KM

kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:08 AM   #2

Not if you don't know how to use it...a camera is only as good as the photographer using it! A good car will stil get into an accident as well as a cheap car if the person behind the wheel doesn't know how to drive.

A professional photographer can take a better picture with the cheapest point & shoot camera on the market, than a novice equipped with a dSLR can.

When you say the window is "all white" you didn't mention whether it's from daylight, or reflection from a flash...in any case merely using a dSLR won't stop either situation.

If it's from a flash, move the subject away from the window and/or point the flash away from the window (bounce the (external) flash off a wall or ceiling.

If it's from daylight, there are a few solutions...first, move the subject so they aren't near the window. Second, close the drapes or use a sheet of neutral density plastic over the window to darken the amount of light coming in. Third, USE the window light to light up the subject.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the metaphors

The camera not having a wide enough Dynamic Range I think is what they call it to over both the outdoor and indoor.

I do not wish to cover the windows. It is due to the daylight. Most of the shooting I do is inside the structure there is no suject but the room itself.

KM
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:41 AM   #4

Exposure latitude is lower on digital camera than on the best films. So if you really, really need shots in complex light/dark environments with digital, you should probably try doing multiple exposures and blend the pictures.

You can do it with digital, but there is little slop between a bright spot and blowing the higlight.

The noise characteristics int he 5400 will be worse than a DSLR, so you would be able to use higher ISO (but again, this is a question of your standards. To some its good enough, to others it isn't.) I find with the 10D that I can use at ISO400 and use noise reduction software and the picture is good. I doubt that ISO400 is much use on the 5400.

I would guess the window is all white because it's blown out. The exposure was set for the room, and the bright window then becomes a blob.

I believe Steve is sent promotional cameras so he can write his reviews. I don't know that for a fact.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:58 AM   #5

This picwas taken with the 20d at ISO3200 (Highest). It was indoors on a relatively dull day with weak indoor lighting. The shutter was at 1250th/sec!!!! and F.3.2. This quality is incredible, and I would say highly usable if you really needed to use this setting.
Attached Images

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:31 PM   #6

Yes, that isn't bad. Especially for that high an ISO. And it looks even better because it was reduced (and not cropped.) But to me, I can see the noise clearly visible in the board going up the picture (to the point that it gets in the way of the wood grain.) I don't think it would have held up as well in a print (which demands more detail.)

On the other hand, I see little noise in the cow piece which is white (I expected some there.)

My understanding is that noise in the 20D is "different" but not "better". From a scientific test of the 20D's noise vs. the 10Ds. This basically fits with what I've seen with my own eyes looking at posted un-noise-reduced images. Personally, I have high standards... ISO400 does look slightly better (not less noisey) but still not great and ISO800 wasn't directly usable. So by buying the 20D I don't gain a stop. With the quality of noise reduction software now, that means (to me) that there is little difference. Now, if I gained a stop with the 20D I'd already own one. It's still tempting because of the better AF, but I'm not leaping out to buy one.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote