Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:16 PM   #1

Hi guys.

Im in the market for a digital SLR. At the moment I'n using a Sony F717 which I am very happy with but it is too limited for all the types of photography that I do.

As a designer I need something that will allow exceptional quality prints up to A0 (Printed on a Encad 880)

My problem is that I cant decide if I should buy just the Digital Rebel body with the standard lens & Sigma 70 - 300 Lens?

Or should I buy the body and a 28-200 lens?

I have a budget of about $1400 for Camera, Bag (Lowepro Nature Tracker AWII) and mem stick.

Thanks
Maxxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 4:03 PM   #2

hello Maxxis...

i'm saving up for the dRebel too...but...you might want to check out the thread

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87

shows a way of using sears "price match plus" to get the rebel for under 600 dollars

(that's the with the kit lens)

then you can get a sigma 70-300mm APO lens for 200, 1 GB CF card (memory) for 100, your lowepro bag (200 bucks right?)

that leaves you 300 dollars....

of course...i saw in my Outdoor Photographer ads for the drebel for 400-500 dollars!

use that with the sears thing..and you got an incredible price!

oh yeah...check out a couple threads with people buying rebels...cuz Canon has a rebate going on now...100 dollars back...

hope this helps!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 4:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'll try the sears price match. Would help a lot.

I'm from South Africa so the rebates unfortunately dont apply to me.

Cheers
Old Oct 27, 2004, 4:49 PM   #4

ahh...that stinks....

are there sears in south africa? i guess the price match will work online too..

btw...i wouldn't order from any of the stores that sell it that cheap...especially if they do business in brooklyn!

Vito
Old Oct 27, 2004, 5:06 PM   #5

Maxxis wrote:
Quote:
As a designer I need something that will allow exceptional quality prints up to A0 .
You need to think again my friend.

A0 is approximately 47"x33" and there ain't no digital camera out there produced by Canon that will "allow exceptional quality prints up to A0". Added to that you have chosen the lowest priced DSRL available, and lenses that are best described as "budget". Not a good idea at all !

I used a Sony 717 for a couple of years andI now have had a Digital Rebel for 6 months with the kit lens, and a couple of Sigma lenses. The very best results I have had from the Rebel are no better than the very best results from the Sony and its excellent Vario Sonnar lens. I am not saying the two camera are equals, because the versatility of the Canon DSLR and its very usable ISO range, make it a much more usable camera under a wider range of situations than the 717. But as for the ability to produce a quality image, I believe there is little if any difference. Both will produce excellent A4 prints, and viewed from an appropriate distance, a good A3 print. But you are asking not for A3, or A2 or even A1, but A0.

In your dreams my friend, in your dreams.
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 5:22 PM   #6

two words

Genuine Fractals...

lol

Vito
Old Oct 27, 2004, 6:03 PM   #7

Ken: Not so much a dream. The rip software of the Encad will see to the image quality.

My basic aim is to get sharp and noise free images good enough for A4 print in magazines & catalogues. The poster (A0) images are very few and only for selected clients. So no worries there. The zoom lens is basically just a toy and therefor I wish to spend no more than $150 (BH Price) on it.

I intend to keep my 717 for studio work.

Vito: Thanks but there is no Sears in SA. My brother is working in the states and I will be there from 3 December for a month of traveling and vacation. I have looked at all these stores selling the Rebel for next to nothing. It all comes down to their prices being to good to be true. ResellerRatings solved most of my queries about the said stores. Crooklyn will be avoided at all costs.

I will see what sears can offer me.

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2004, 6:08 PM   #8

good good...you know crooklyn, and more importantly resellerratings

if your brother works in the states, maybe you can have him buy it, then he can use the 100 dollar rebate...and you just pay him wat it comes out to!

Vito
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:51 AM   #9

Hey guys.

The only things I forgot to mention in my other posts about the Sears price match is the fine print says the place they are matching needs to have a local retail store. This my be alright for Vito since he is in the NJ area. But you never know the knowledge of thepeople working at those places, they may not know what their price match policy is. So the worse thing they can say is no.

Also, check out this post I just did. 1GB 40x CF card for $60. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 1:05 PM   #10

Just got a reply from Sears. They are not willing to match A&M Photoworld as they do not meet the specific requirements of the price match policy.

Any other stores that I should try?

Cheers