Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:45 PM   #11

Ceddy-

You are jumping threads - go back and read my reply on YOUR problem.

Patience my friend - photography is a life long thing !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:47 PM   #12

18 to 55 kit lense, it came with camera. Then the white walls or the white doll that I was taking a picture should be properly exposed. But even the white is under exposed
Attached Images

Heidi and Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:50 PM   #13

Heidi and Hans wrote:
Quote:
18 to 55 kit lense, it came with camera. Then the white walls or the white doll that I was taking a picture should be properly exposed. But even the white is under exposed
Wa, that is dark hehehehe.
Ceddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:33 PM   #14

FLASH EXPOSURE COMPENSATION and use a shoe mount flash. Built-in units are cute & ok for maybe some outdoor fill situations up close, but they are totally inadequate and produce the most unflattering light indoors. That doll was probably right over the focus point used. Dial in somewhere around +2/3 to +1 full stop of flash compensation since it's almost totally white. If you focus on dark subjects you need to go the other way to keep your subject black instead of turning it some shade of grey. you should experiment to see what amount you like so your subjects come out the way you want.

Since turning in my film cameras for digital SLR's I've had to work more than ever at getting flash photography right since I'm no longer depending on a lab to make all those automatic corrections when they print negatives that may or may not have been exposed right. I can probably count the times I used FEC on my film cameras with the fingers on my two hands. One of the pluses (or minuses, depending on how you look at it) to digital photography- you are forced to learn more than you want to, because you ARE the photographer and lab tech. I've seen many casual shooters grow frustrated with the process and go right back to shooting film because they don't want to work that hard at it.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2636708
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:45 AM   #15

I'll post two examples here of FEC & how small objects can change an exposure of a very similar scene. Here I am using my Digital Rebel and (gasp!) built in flash unit, with the 18-55 EFs lens mounted. The focus point is over the New York (baseball) Giants cap. Since I have loaded the Russian guy's hacked firmware, I can dial in -1 1/3 stops of flash exposure compensation. Without doing it, the dark hat takes on a brown tint and the white walls around the light colored dresser get totally blown out:
Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:52 AM   #16

In this second image, using the same equipment as above and focusing this time on the doll with the same exposure settings and at about the same distance (11-12 feet), but this time I dial in +1/3 stop flash exposure compensation. See how the desk and walls look almost exactly the same in terms of tone and lightness? Remember here, I say "ALMOST". The plus FEC has lightened the walls and desk slightly. All I did with these pictures was a little USM and re-sizing to post them here. I didn't try to balance the backgrounds afterwards- what you see here, with the two exceptions mentioned are straight out of the camera. The Digital Rebel and it's ETTL flash metering are heavily weighted towards the focus point. The 20D should be a little more forgiving with the new metering system, but I would be willing to bet it's still pretty heavily weighted towards the focus point. Flash Exposure Compensation, a shoe mounted flash for the more distant subjects and a lot of practice will make a huge difference in your photos.
Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2004, 6:28 PM   #17

I also have the Canon 20D and have found the same thing happen when taking an inside picture on automatic mode. I have the 420 ex speedlight so it's not a big deal to me but find it the only digital camera i ever owned (oly 100rs, oly 2030, oly 4000, sony 717, Nikon d70,and canon eos digital rebel) that a built in flash isn't good enough to handle living room shots or basic around the house shots inside. jcarboski
jcarboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 7:56 PM   #18

I had the store replace mine, I'll have it on monday and I'll let you know if there is any difference. I too have the 420EX light , but it produced the same results. I had to find out if it was a problem with my camera.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:10 PM   #19

thanks for the advice! I'll have my new camera on monday to try this out

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" Hans'
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:59 PM   #20

Just received my replacement 20D And my built in flash problems are gone. This camera does much better in auto, and if I set FEC up +1 in P mode my pics start to become overexposed. Now I can concentrate on learning SLR Photography. PS Someone asked about firmware, The firmware upgrade was preinstalled in this new one, not that it was hard to install upgrade yourself.