Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2004, 7:07 PM   #1

All my indoor flash pictures come out dark unless I do a FE Lock on something black in the photo then take the picture. Is anyone else having same problem?
Heidi and Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 9:01 PM   #2

What metering mode?

What camera mode? M? Tv? Av?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 7:47 AM   #3
NHL

Heidi and Hans wrote:
Quote:
All my indoor flash pictures come out dark unless I do a FE Lock on something black in the photo then take the picture. Is anyone else having same problem?
If the overall scene is bright, ie a white wall as background for example, the pictures will come out underexposed... just the way the camera works

BTW what lens did you use, because this will also affect the camera exposure on the 20D!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:15 AM   #4

I think I have the same problem. For some reason when take a wide angle shot, like this one in the living room, using automatic mode with flash, it came out very dark , not SHARP and very blurry?
Attached Images

Ceddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 7:23 AM   #5
NHL

You have a different problem here, this is a BIG room... Are you using an external flash or the built-in ?

Even with a 550EX the Guide Number is cut in half (55 to 28 ) when the angle of coverage is increased to 24mm:
http://www.pbase.com/canon550ex/image/23295788/original

-> The built-in flash will not cut it (note the near objects are well exposed)! :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:46 AM   #6

I am using the built in flash may be thats why. If the living room has enough lighting , would that be ok using the bulit-in flash?

What model of canon external flash do you recommend?

thanks

CEDDY

Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:22 PM   #7

In automatic mode the camera probably picks the shutterspeed based on the ambient light, not the flash light. Is that right NHL? I don't have my camera in front of me to test it. If so that'll account for blurry pictures too.

Try this. Set the camera to manual mode and pick say 1/60s shutter speed and the widest aperture you can set with your lens. Then take another picture with the flash.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:38 PM   #8

I'd like you to try this, Put your camera in P mode, leave all settings as original. Evalulative metering. Set the iso up to 400 if you want, but not necessary. select the center point for focussing. Now focuse on anything dark or black in your room, (it might not focus on something to dark but that don't matter yet) then push the FE Lock button (looks like this * ) Now focuse on anything you want to in the room and take picture. weather I used the built in flash or my 420ex picture would come out properly exposed. Maybe even a little too bright, but only a little. I sent my camera back because I think this should not be necessary, stay in touch and I'll let you know if the replacement I get is better.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:39 PM   #9

Let's just say auto
Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:40 PM   #10

I will definitely try that tongiht also. Will post picture later tonight. Thanks for the advise.

regards

Ceddy