Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 28, 2004, 5:27 AM   #1

I purchased a Metz SCA 3102flash for my Drebel before the new Canon flash was available. Now, I am considering the Canon 20D. Will the Metz flash be compatible with the new camera or is my $500 + a bad investment? I read that the 20 D had ETTL II flash (upgrade from ETTL on the Drebel?).

Al Amstutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2004, 7:41 AM   #2
NHL

It's a wise investment, but you'll need to wait for the right SCA adapter to catch up with the new camera...
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...42&forum_id=37
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:27 PM   #3

Al,

I sent my SCA adapter back to Metz and they are updating it from the 10D to the 20D at no charge. It is the M3 and it is back compatible to the 10D. I would be very interested in the reviews for the new 580EX. The Metz is just superb in Auto with the Canon on M.

Mark
mdmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:53 PM   #4

Thanks Mark. I have been trying to get in touch with Metz and haven't had any luck. I bought the 20D yesterday and it should be here by the end of the week. I'll keep the Drebel as a back up. I'll test the metz on the 20D and hopefully it will work with the ETTL II. No one seems to be able to tell me.
AL
Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:34 PM   #5

Al,

I spoke with Metz and that's why I sent my SCA adapter in. They said the M2 would need to be changed out to the M3 to be fully compatible with the 20D. They also said that the M3 would be back compatible to the 10D. I'm expecting it back today or tomorrow and will get back to you on it.

Mark
mdmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 8:16 PM   #6

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the additional input. I'm anxious to see how you like it and what your opinion of the results is.
Al
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:50 AM   #7

Mark,
I have a Metz 54-M3, with SCA3008 A m that fits in the hot-shoe on top of the camera. Is this what Metz upgraded yours to to use with the 20D?
Thanks, I like the flash (used it with the Canon Rebel) and wanted to know if I could use it safely with the 20D.
Thanks in advance
Pat Witter
pwitter is offline   Reply With Quote