Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 29, 2004, 9:32 PM   #1

This afternoon I tried couple pictures as well. Just using the Auto mode. But picture came out just no sharp at all. Do you notice this pictures look like little dreamy feel , I don't know if I got problem with my eyes or what, but i always feel that there is a layer on the top of it like create the dreamy effect. Color just little different than my rebel.

Here is the pictures, they are Large size, please beware.

http://216.185.138.94/20d/IMG_0041.jpg

http://216.185.138.94/20d/IMG_0042.jpg

http://216.185.138.94/20d/IMG_0064.jpg

As you can see the last pictures doesn't look sharp, and looks dull on the SUV. what is that? SHould I return the 20d and keep the rebel? :? This camera driving me nuts, getting frustrated.

Help please !!!!!
Ceddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:25 AM   #2

In part, the "dull" look simply takes a couple of keystrokes in Photoshop. A little bit of unsharp masking also helps a little on the sharpness issues. Most of my JPEG's out of my Digital Rebel or 10D need unsharp masking of some amount to be their best, and my RAW files definitely get an amount of sharpening in Capture One. Very few DSLR JPEG images come straight out of the camera in as good a condition as they can be. You have to be willing to do a little extra work or you will be disappointed.

I downloaded that last photo, used the simple "quick fix" command in Photoshop elements 2.0 and added a standard USM setting I use on most if not all of my own images to aid in the sharpness. If I had wanted to be a little more anal, some manual work on the contrast and color would have produced even better results. I also shrunk the file here so you don't have to download such a large image to view as I did- it took almost 10 minutes on my slow dial-up service! I also see your shutter speed was 1/20 second- not a good shutter speed as far as promoting ultimate sharpness. Did you use that speed hand-held or was your camera mounted on a tripod? If hand-held, were you using an image stabilization lens?
Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 5:26 AM   #3

If you are looking for sharper more contrasty images there are menu settings to achieve this. The 20D is not set by default to be as sharp as the rebel but it can be if you adjust it in parameters of which 3 are provided. The image you provided was shot in very tough lighting conditions and the historgram shows it to be overexposed and clipped on the right. You can read lisc plates on the cars, what were you expecting for sharpness? Here is your first image with auto levels and sharpened.
Attached Images

Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 3:19 PM   #4

Hi Tomsch,

What kind of parameters should I use in order to get the sharper and good contrast. When you said the by default the 20d is not setup to be as sharp as the rebel ? So as for using automatic mode there is no way I can adjust the sharpness expect using the rebel. Cause I take the same pic with auto mode with these two cameras and compare the quality. In auto mode the rebel is good but the 20d just very dull. I feel very frustrated. Not sure if I should return the camera to the stop. I only had is for 2 days.

Can you see this picture, I think its very sharp and clear to me hehehehehe.

http://216.185.138.94/20d/landscape1.jpg

Regards

Cedric
Old Oct 30, 2004, 4:24 PM   #5

Page #57 of your instruction manual will tell you how to set the parameters. The last picture that you said is very sharp, perhaps you should have a closer look at it. It is really quite soft. It looks appropriate for a land scape and looks quite natural. It is however not much sharper than the others you have posted. If you want to compare sharpness take comparitive shots of news print or a magizine.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 3:09 AM   #6

Ceddy you cheeky git, that pic was on the sample pics page!! I saw this before, I think it was a sample pic from the 20d on a review page, I am sure! Did you alter the exif data? On your post you said you have had the camera for 2 days, yet the exif data shows the picture was taken on 29.08.04!!!!!!!
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:04 PM   #7

Firefly- Your right about CEDDY. We had better keep an eye on him in the future !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:19 PM   #8

Dear Setiprime and Freefly,

I think you both have totally misunderstood me. I didn't say I took the landscape1.jpg picture. That picture is a sample pic I found from other site and I just want you to see and give me some
advise on how to take a great picture like that and what lens would you recommend.

I have the 20d for less than a week now. And trying to compare the quality with the rebel.

Here is the picture I just took, definitely need your advise as well.
http://216.185.138.94/20d/watch.jpg

No matter I use 'P' or "AV" mode to take this shot, I select the focus point only in the center of the watch (yellow circle).
And it came out, the band on the top and bottom are much much sharper and clearer then the watch face. How do I correct the problem?

Sorry for the confusing on the previous post. Please excuse my english, may be I didn't explain it well hehehe.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:18 AM   #9

Ceddy-

One of the things that some people find difficult, is the difference in the way an image looks when using a DSLR as opposed to a "Point-and-Shoot" (P&S) camera.

The P&S is designed to give people that sharp/crisp snapshot kind of image that consumer film offered.

You will find that many advanced and Pro photographers do not subscribe to that type of photo.

You will definately have to learn some basic post processing in "developing" your images. Photoshop Elements (you should have got a copy in your camera package) is a good beginning.

Part of moving up to the DSLR level is you now are given more control of the final image "look".

This IS NOT something you will accomplish in a few days, weeks.

However, this can be one of the more interesting areas of digital photography. Some enjoy it, some dislike it - but we ALL have to learn how to do it.

This is another advantage of this forum. There is no problem or question that can't be answered here. We have ALL gone through the curve you are getting into.

Keep Shooting !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 11:29 AM   #10

Sorry for the misunderstanding...

When doing macro, or close ups, you really must take a few shots of the same subject, you cant just rely on taking one pic and hope it comes out ok! The focus can shift very slightly, or the camera could move etc etc etc. Try mirror lock too, to avoid ANY camera shake. When I take 8 or 9 shots at supposidly the same setting, I always end up with some sharper than the others, more often than not, it is the photographer error, not the camera.Good luck!!!

By the way, I played with your pic, its not that bad....:?
Attached Images

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote