Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 1, 2004, 2:55 AM   #11

What lens you buy depends entirely on your budget. The EF 50mm1.4 is around 240GBP ($400?), but in my opinion is well worth it. It is not a zoom, but is close to being "L" glass. L glass is the very best, and most expensive lenses that Canon do, but if you have the money, go for it. The 70-200 L is around $1600 (€1400 approx), but may have too long a reach for your portrait work. The lens you are looking at (75-300) is new so I dont know the quality etc., but may also have too long a reach for now!For portraits, you could use an 85mm, 100mm etc., it all gets a bit daunting! Using the 10d, I started using the 28-135 USM IS for all portrait work, and for the smaller budget, I would highly recommend this lens! I had a break from film photography for about 6 years, and came back when digital had reached the performance of the 10d. I bought it with the 28-135 Ef lens and said I would earn the money back. Did so quite quickly doing child portraits, then wanted to earn enough for the 20d plus 70-200 L, 16-35 L, did that, and am now aiming to get the EOS 1ds MKII this month. Start with the 20d and 28-135 IS USM, you wont go far wrong!! IMHO!

BTW, the first picture was taken with the 70-200 at 200mm 100th sec f.13, the second one 50mm 100th sec at f.10, and the last was with the 70-200 again at 200mm 50th sec f 2.8 (Good old IS!!!).
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 4:06 PM   #12

Freefly wrote:
Quote:
BTW, the first picture was taken with the 70-200 at 200mm 100th sec f.13, the second one 50mm 100th sec at f.10, and the last was with the 70-200 again at 200mm 50th sec f 2.8 (Good old IS!!!).
Freefly,
Why did you use such a small apeture for the first picture? I've heard people say that for every 1mm of focal range you should match it by 1/100s. If you went f/8 or f/9 would'nt you get the same effect but with a better shutter speed?
Did the IS have a factor in this?
Sorry about the questions but i'm just intrigued.

Beautiful shots anyway!
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:45 PM   #13

It was just the aperture that matched the rest of the setup. Using a softbox and second light, if you use a relatively slow shutter speed, you also pick up some ambient light, and that makes it look a bit more natural. And yes, the IS played a big part, it is very useful with studio work, I dont leave home without it...:-). Also, the longer lens you use, the shallower the depth of field, I wanted to make sure I had good sharp images.

BTW, have you ever done a shoot when some thing happens to make it that much better? Whilst we were doing these shots insideon a rainy late afternoon last week, the "Big Man" upstairs intervened and threw a little sunlight (And colour) onto the proceedings. Needless to say we ran outside, got me, the model and my camera wet, but it was well worth it!!!!!
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:46 PM   #14

Another...
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:47 PM   #15

Last one..
Attached Images