Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 31, 2004, 8:33 AM   #1

Hi,I am a long time Canon film enthusiast, but I have been waiting a while now for an affordable digitalto come along that would come close to or beat the quality of 35mm film. Anyways, I know (have read) that the D1s outperforms 35mm film, but I was wondering how the 20D stacks up. If anyone could let me know how close it comes, that would be great. Thanks.

PS - I have also read about problems regarding "halos" showing up on images, anyone experienced this?
nickf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:30 AM   #2

Hi there. I have used 35mm since 1980 and I can safely say that I think the 20 "Just" outperforms a lot of film SLR´s. I have owned Canon EOS 5´s EOS 3´s a Nikon F5 and F3. I did a job yesterday, with studio lights, and printed off a couple of A3´s and was blown away by the quality!!! Really. The shots I did will be blown up to A1 for the client, and I KNOW they will look Excellent!
Attached Images

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:32 AM   #3

You cant tell from these, but at A3, they are as sharp as they would be printed at 7 x 5. Go for the 20d, you won´t be disappointed!
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:34 AM   #4

Very good looking pics! Thanks very much for the reply, I guess I'll be making a trip to the store tomorrow...
nickf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:34 AM   #5

last one...
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2004, 1:08 PM   #6

Hi Freefly,

What a beautiful picture. I got my 20d couple days ago, but i get so frustrated cause seems like i have major focusing problem. The picture came out very not sharp at all, I have no idea why. I have compare to my digital rebel and that looks more sharp.

I am both using the stock 18-55mm lens. And Rebel has better sharper and focusing.

What lens are you using to take that incredible picture? If I buy a difference lens, would that improve the problem.

Do I have to setup the parameter in order to do that sharpness?

Any help will be great.

thanks

Ceddy
Attached Images

Ceddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 2:03 PM   #7

Here is an interesting URL to nobsphotosuccess They gave a rather good presentation at the Toronto photography and digital imaging show. They speak highly of digital on their main page. :-)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 2:11 PM   #8

Ceddy
The DRebel comes with the incamera sharpening turned up higher than the 10D (and I assume the 20D.) Either turn it up incamera, or do it in PS. Personally, I do it in PS because unsharpen mask (USM) is better at sharpening than what is built in. More CPU and memory to work with when doing it.

As for the focusing... I can't help you there. It could be a problem with the camera, or something else. Could you post an example? Crop (but don't reduce) a section of the picture and post it. Don't touch it up at all. That will help us figure it out.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 3:33 PM   #9

These pics required no sharpening in PS. I set the parameter in camera to highest sharpening. I used either the 50mm 1.4 ef (Lovely) or the 70-200L IS usm 2.8. The 50mm is immaculate for portraits. When focussing close, I use just the central focussing point, move to eye and focus, and whilst keeping shutter half-pressed, re-frame and shoot about 5-8 pics. You always get a few "PIN" sharp shots. Good luck, and invest in some quality glass, I put the 18-55mm in a drawer and do not use it.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:14 AM   #10

Hi Freefly,

What kind of lens you recommend? I am not really happy with this stock lens, horrible. I want a good lens that gives me sharp images for portraits and for landscape. I don't know nothing about lense.

Which one is the 50mm 1.4 ef (Lovely) or the 70-200L IS usm 2.8 ?

Is EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM good? http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...p;modelid=7342

I heard that lens focusing very slow or something, is that true?

Best Regards

Ceddy

Ceddy is offline   Reply With Quote