Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:30 PM   #11

By now I assume you have received your Sigma 500, how do you like it?

I recently purchased the Canon 580EX to be master to my 420ex and love the combo. The 580ex is so much nicer than the 420 and triggers it fine in multiflash wireless mode.

I purchased the 580EX in preparation for when I finally get the Canon 20D. The 580EX has some speacial features when used with a 20d or a Mark II.

I figure I will have this flash for many years to come so why not get the best available and plan for the future?
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:54 AM   #12

I'm really curious about your experience with the Sigma and Canon 580 as I just got a 20D myself and need a flash, too.

What are the special 20D-specific abilities that Canon offers over the Sigma?

Thanks for any input you can provide.
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:39 PM   #13
NHL

llama wrote:
Quote:
What are the special 20D-specific abilities that Canon offers over the Sigma?
The 580EX, beside the higher 58GN, 'knows' when it's mounted on a cropped camera like the 20D/10D/Drebel vs a full-frame camera like the 1D/1Ds and would adjust it zoom's angles accordingly

The Sigma like the 420/550EX previously goes strictly by the focal lenght as reported back from the zooms: one ends up with a wider angle of coverage which is "wasted" (ie cropped by the 1.6x factor). The 580Ex also adjust for the white balance as the battery voltage tapered off, but if you shoot in RAW who cares... :?

IMO you can get two (2) EF-500DG Super (in a wireless Master/Slave) for the same price as one 580EX, and have much better control over the lighting from multiple angles as well different lighting ratios :blah:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 3:24 PM   #14

Quote:
IMO you can get two (2) EF-500DG Super (in a wireless Master/Slave) for the same price as one 580EX, and have much better control over the lighting from multiple angles as well different lighting ratios
You bring up a good point. I can not set ratio's between the 580ex and the 420ex because the 420ex does not have manual controls. As a result I will upgrade my 420ex to the Sigma 500DG Super. I do not recommnd the 420EX as a master or slave.

Iwill at some point, upgrade mt Drebel to a 20Dand wanted a flash that could handle the 7 or 9 point ttl focusing of the 300D and 20D. I also wanted a flash thataccepted external power packs,the CP-E2 increases recycle time from 6 sec to 1.7 at full discharge and allows you to get hundreds more flashes. It run about $119.00.This external power pack will be essential in keeping up with the 5fps, 23 frames burst of the 20D.

For peace of mind, I want to know that my equipment is compatiable and is doing what it is supposed to.When my pictures don't come out I know it was me and not my equipment. The 580EX is a pro flash that can be used on any pro Canon camera I may decide to get in the future. I can not be sure this will be true for the Sigma.

Yes, you do pay considerably more for the Canon 580EX or Metz butwhen I thinkof the importnace brides put on their weddings this costis minimal.

Old Dec 9, 2004, 5:18 PM   #15
NHL

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
I will at some point, upgrade mt Drebel to a 20D and wanted a flash that could handle the 7 or 9 point ttl focusing of the 300D and 20D...
Trust me you don't need it... It's pretty tacky to scan people with the IR beams anyway like @ the check-out counters, and I have them turned off on all my flashes through the Custom Function. Beside if you rely on the AF focusing points then you'll end up with the worst exposure with the Canon E-TTL system -> just go back and check on all the flash problems in this forum with the AF biais toward the focusing points

The camera focus just fine in the dark (even with 10D) -> you only need the focusing beams when aiming at a featureless blank wall. On all other shots the camera pick up on other details and focus on it just fine! :?

IMO a dual-head Metz is the best (all self contained)... but then one has to give up on the wireless :idea:

Quote:
...This external power pack will be essential in keeping up with the 5fps, 23 frames burst of the 20D.
I don't plan on being the guy to run the disco... and burn out my bulb! :-) :-) :-)
Old Dec 9, 2004, 5:30 PM   #16

Now you are confusing me :roll:?

the 9 point focusing simply means multiple points are evaluated in determining the best focus 7 - 9 and up with the pro cameras. This information is communicated to the flash. Is it important? I have no idea.... seems logical that it wouldn't make a difference if al these focusing points are at the same distance from flash :idea:

The IR beam has to do with night focusing and I believe distance. I am not sure what does this, but my focusing sure is faster in low light if I have my exteranl flash on the camera.

I do sometimes turn off the multi-point evaluation setting it to just the center square. This is when I want to be assured the camera is focusing exactly wher I want it to. the multi-point can be tricky sometimes when trying to shoot fast.

I do like the fact I finally have a flash that has custom functions :G

by the way, I was told that Sigma and Canon do not speak to each other wireless but you do this with your 550ex don't you?
Old Dec 9, 2004, 5:33 PM   #17
NHL

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
by the way, I was told that Sigma and Canon do not speak to each other wireless but you do this with your 550ex don't you?
You're fed the wrong info... They work just fine together wirelessly, in fact that's how I use them mostly: one 550EX and two EF-500DG Super. It's the Metz which are not compatible because they use an RF system instead

BTW they can be assigned to separate group for ratio control, just like on the 420EX (you don't set the ratio on the actual flash itself)!

Quote:
Now you are confusing me :roll:?

the 9 point focusing simply means multiple points are evaluated in determining the best focus 7 - 9 and up with the pro cameras. This information is communicated to the flash. Is it important? I have no idea.... seems logical that it wouldn't make a difference if al these focusing points are at the same distance from flash :idea:
Even at the same distance, which mostly are not, the camera put more weight aroud the AF point that it picks for the evaluative metering -> which means if the AF point lands on a dark area one ends up with overexposure... and if the AF point lands on a bright area the camera will underexposed!

FYI: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...17&forum_id=37
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:18 PM   #18

You mightconsider a bracket to moveyour newflash off the camera. I took the advice of NHL a few weeks ago andgot a Wein Safe Sync that lets me use an older Sunpak potato masher strobe with a Drebel. My set up is manual butyou should see the same kind of improvement in lighting that I did in your automatic set up. I haven't had to fool around removing red eye since.Abracket that puts the flash higher and to one side of the lens center llne makes a big difference especially in close up and portrait shots.
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:53 PM   #19

I have the Sigma EF-500 DG ST and find it does all I need (so far). I would have preferedthe EF-500 DG Super but it was way above mybudget. It really depend on what you want to use it for. The Canon 580EX is an extreamly unit but I cant see any advantage over the 500DG Super.
Mightyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote