Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:54 AM   #11

Hey Theophile-

Keep in mind that the 100/400 is an "L" lens BUT - it it not the only lens in Canons inventory.

They make several "Primes" for reaching out there 400mm-500mm-600mm, etc.

They would just love to sell you one !!

No one lens can deliver what shooters want (not need-want)

If you have the 28/135 and the 100/400 and the old trusty 50mm - you have all the lenses you NEED for quite some time.

Free advice :: Learn them first, you will be surprised at how well you are equipped !!

As far as "sharpness"- you might still have a lingering impression that P&S cameras left- as they work very hard to give you that "Snapshot" color and sharpness, which makes us think that is how all shots should look like.

If you want to persue that "Look" then you will have to get involved with "digital darkroom" (post processing). You are now your own "Lab" so to speak.

Patience, patience,patience !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:22 PM   #12

Thanks Jon!

Along with the 100-400L, I Also Got the 17-40 f4.0L, the 70-200 f4.0 L, the 50 f1.4, the 1.4TC II and of course, the 18-55 Kit lens! It will take me a long time to get the Feel for All These and make the Best useof their Strengths!!! The 400-500-600 Primes are Way out of My Price Range, but sure they are worth the $$$ if You have the need for that!

Yes, I Just Started with the Photoshop 2.0 that came with the DRebel and have a lot to learn there, Along with the Equipment!!! As you said, I'll need Much Patience, I Need to Practice That Too!

Thanks for the Tips and Suggestions Jon! Hope You don't mind if I ask forMore in the Future!!!

Ted
theophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 5:56 PM   #13

I have not yet invested inany L-series lens yet, but I have resolved my sharpness issues. I have a Drebel with the 50 1.8, 55-200, and the 18-55kit lens. I was getting soft unsharp portraits and was convienced I needed better lens. I was going to purchase the 70-200 F4L, but got the 50 1.8 to see if I could tell a difference.

I purchased a pair or studio strobes and discovered my lack of sharpness was due to too wide of an aperture and too slow of a shutter speed. Now I shoot portraits at about F8 and shutter at 60 - 80. When I was shooting outdoors zoomed at 135 -200m my cheap variable apperture lens was set at 5.6, shutter was down around 15 at ISO 100. With these setting and camera handheld I got pretty bad shots.

However, when using the strobes and F8 I get really sharp shots from all three lenses now.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:52 AM   #14

Wow, Outside at f5.6 on that 55-200mm, You must have been in Very Low Light for just a 1/15 th Shutter Speed! ISO 400 would have given a 1/60 th, still Challenging for Hand Held, but doable! The 50 f1.8 must be Great in Comparison for low light! I've got the 50 f1.4 and ithas Amazing Sharpness Hand Held @1.4 with indoor ambient lighting!!

If You are Thiking about the 70-200 f4.0, now with the Rebates is a Great Time! Light, Superb Color, Fast Auto Focus Speeds and Sharp Contrast with Silky Bokeh Backgrounds, a Real Stealfor the $$$ !

Good Luck!

Ted
Old Nov 19, 2004, 2:25 PM   #15

Thanks Everyone for Your Suggestions and Input!!!

http://image18.webshots.com/19/6/98/...4YWRjdK_fs.jpg

Much Appreciation to You Steve for this Wonderful Forumto Share Photo Knowledge and Experiences!!!!!

Ted

Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:29 AM   #16

I currently own th 70-200 f4, which is a very nice lens, but I find myself doing alot of significant cropping when shooting football and baseball. Cannot afford the REALLY expensive super tele's but I have beenconsidering buyingthe 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L and selling the 70-200. I believe your images have convinced me to do so. Thanks for sharing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:52 AM   #17

I would be willing to bet you could sell some of those pix to Air Force personnell - if there is a Base nearby. Might be a good time to pick up some extra bucks at Christmas time. I DEFINATELY would have an 11 X 14 and a 16 X 20 printed to show off a couple of your best shots!

David

Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:42 PM   #18

Theophile-

I gave (lost) my 300D to my wife. So I am re-learning the Rebel through her eyes. Don't ever sell that camera short. The 28/135 and the Rebel made me about $1000.00 this year.

I just bought a Op-Tech Bino/cam harness (elastic version). Even the wide camera strap I was using was really giving me a sore neck/shoulders.
This rig is unbelieveable !! It transfers the weight to your upper back muscles and you don't notice the weight even after hours of shooting. It is a "criss-cross" rig that really does work. $19.95 at a local camera store.
Can't reccomend it enough.

If you are looking for a very good sharpening method, try either or both of Fred Mirandas plugins. They are quite inexpensive and work beautifully. 300D pro and Intellisharpen II.

Keep shooting - yer doin' just fine.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 5:52 PM   #19

Thanks David! Going to do Just That-Get several large format Prints to Display, maybe with Framing!! Looked on the T-Bird WWW Site and their Large Full Resolutions are Very Noisy-too bad!!!

Thanks for the Eq. and Software pointers Jon, will be researching that Op-Tech Harness and the Sharpening programs soon!

Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

Ted
Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:14 PM   #20

Got my 100-400 L 3 days ago. Did a little test shooting and took it to a high school playoff football game last night, mounted on my 10D. Jacked the ISO up to 1600 and did most of the shooting between 200-350mm with great results. Took the tripod collar off to help reduce weight & had no problems following action with focus set to servo mode and mode 2 on the IS setting. I mounted the battery pack with 2 batteries and over a 3 hour game in around 40 degree weather the battery display never went down. The extra reach over the 70-200 was a godsend.

For someone without the ability to afford the more expensive 400mm lenses this is great and I mean the 400mm f2.8 when I say that. I cannot imagine spending $1,000 or more on a single focal length lens like the 400mm f5.6 for the amount of use I would get out of a lens like that. I was in the lower stands on the 40 yard line when I took the attached shot, so with the angle I would say I was about 50 yards away from the action when I got this. I could have captured a similar shot with the 70-200 at 200mm, but it would have required a 40-50% crop, which this file is not.

Theophile, I admire you if you got your shots without mounting a battery pack in your setup. I mounted this big old lens on my Digital Rebel and it's quite a rig on that light a camera.
Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote