Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:13 PM   #1

Wow,

After learning Much on this Forum and Gaining a Better Appreciation for the SLR Equipment and the Process (still have LOTS to learn), Canon Reeled me in and Set the Hook with $645 Rebates!!! At this point, I've Shot the Recent Lunar Eclipse and the Sertoma Air Show with this Great Camera using the Canon 100-400 Lens, Think I made a wise choice in spending the $$$ on this lens instead of a 20D!

I'm Posting the URL's to each New DRebel Portfolio. Please visit and leave me some constructive critiques! I'm Trying to break away from the P&S mentality and accomplish more Artful Work in this Hobby! Any Suggestions Will Be Greatly Appreciated!!!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/209734710gAUxtn

http://community.webshots.com/album/210587562CuOtts

http://community.webshots.com/album/207504289xPHpyW

Thanks!

Ted

theophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:58 AM   #2

Theophile-

Now you understand the sickness of "L" lenses.

There will be a "sweet" area for your lens. Mine lies somewhere in the 325-365mm range. Ain't IS great??

Nice shots, by the way.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 11:03 AM   #3

Killer pix!! Those are Great at the air show! Did you use a monopod at all or hand-held?

David
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:08 PM   #4

Thanks Jon! Your Right, I'm Hooked On L-Glass!!! Yes, IS Rocks (already knew this from my Pro90IS)! I've Just had My Equipment for 2 wks. and need a Lot More Exposure and Experience to get the feel of the Eq. limitations. I'll Be the Main Limiting Factor for Quite a While!!!

Thanks Also David!! All were Handheld...Even if I had a Good Monopod, the Sheer Dynamic Vertical and Horoziontal Movements Required Extreme Quick and Awkward Free Tracking to get the Shots I Got. Thanks to the Thunderbirds, Sertoma Club AND the FAA for letting me set up Unobstructed100' in Front of the Spectators!!! However, 6 Hrs. of 5 lbs of Camera+Batteries+100-400 Lens wore me out, but it was worth it!!

I'm Looking into a Manfrotto 3011BN Tripod+322RC2 Head and a 679B Monopod for future, Slower Work!

Ted
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:12 PM   #5

Nice picsI also have the 100/400 IS USM L. This was a great investment for me as well. I bought it before having a DSLR(rebel), taking pics with my Elan 7e(which is also an awesome camera, and it's film). Welcome to the Elite or crazy people that spend $$$$$ on lenses:?. But it is sooooo worth it!! Next lenses for me are a 70/200 2.8 IS USM L and maybe the 24/70 2.8. Not sure yet. Been doing research about the Sigma line of lenses. Their a bit cheaper, but saying goes buy cheap get cheap(not always, it's just a saying).
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 5:57 PM   #6

Any More Takers?

*Do the Extreme Crops take away from the Effects?

*How Can I Get Sharper 100-400lL Captures @ the 400mm length?

*Would RAW have Given Much Better Results?

*Are My Portfolio Presentations Too Corny?

*Is the World Really Round????

Appreciate any Further Inputs Into These Profound Life's Questions!!!

Ted
Old Nov 6, 2004, 12:16 AM   #7

Theophile

Pics look awesome, it's either down to the lense or the photographer, if it's the lense I want one now.!!!!!

I have the Rebel but never quite get sharpness like your pics, however things are improving but investing in good glass may help, your pics seem to prove that.

Well done that man.

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 6:14 PM   #8

Good job Theophile

There are a lot of great shots. The most challenging one looks to be the one called "too close for me". I recently saw the Blue Angels and attempted at every opportunity to capture 2 jets flying in opposite directions and it's not easy. By the end of the day, I managedone capture with bothjets in it.(using DRebel=28-135IS)

Were you able to frame it that close or is it a crop? I know what you mean by the horizontal and vertical movements required. I had my 4 year old son on my shoulders much of the time, he was hanging on for dear life.

Anyway, it looks like you had fun.

David
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 12:21 AM   #9

wonderful shots, I love the air show stuff. I have the rebel with a 90-300 lens and I pretty happy with what I can get out of it.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 4:30 AM   #10

Thanks Mart! HAS to be the Lens, I'm as Green as they Come! My DSLR Experience was Only 10-Days When I made this Shoot at the Air Show!!! With the Triple Rebates, I got the Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L for about $1250! I Think it was a better Investment than Spending the $1050 Towards the 20D! The DRebel will be a Great Learning Piece of Equipment!!!

Thanks Also David!! That "Too Close for Me" was a Luck Shot, the Only One I Tried to Capture During the Show!! It Is a 200% Crop of the Framed Pic, but I was pulled back into the 250mm Range for a Wider FOV. Tracked and Focused the F16coming from myRight, so theJet on the Left has Bad Motion Blur! Instincts kicked in, No Experience to pull it off any better! But My Challenges were small compared to Yours Holding a 4 year old Also!!! Yes-It WAS a Blast!!!

Thanks Julie for Your Kind Comments! For the $$$, the DRebel Beats All !!!!!

Take Care Everyone!

Ted