Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:54 PM   #11

There are also a few companies that will convert certain cameras for infrared, but it is expensive and then that is all you can shoot with them is infrared. I picked up an Olympus C2020 for infrared photography. It is probably the gold standard for digital infrared outside of having a digital rebel converted. there are also other filters besides the R72, like the wratten 88athat may cut down the exposure times a littleon some non converted DSLR's, but they are also expensive. I can actually take very good infrared shots hand held on sunny days with my C2020 with a hoya R72, and I can also see what I'mshooting on theLCD. The TV remote test is a pretty good test as mentioned, but detecting theinfrared signal in yourview finder or LCD is one thing and seeing a bright white light as with my C2020 is another. Your C-5050Z with thesmaller 0.00028 mm sensel size compaired to 0.0039 mm on the C-2020 and the much more restrictive IIRCF filter makes it5-6 stops less IR sensitive that the C-2020. Which doesn't rule out the C-5050, just means longer exposures and a good tripod. Not sure if the picturewill post, but this is a hand held shot with my C-2020z andHoya R72.
Attached Images

Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 6:20 AM   #12
NHL

My Minolta original Dimage 7 (plenty used for about $100) is also probably the closest thing to a dSLR in operation for IR, some very nice examples here: http://www.pbase.com/zylen/infrared

It has an EVF, but that's the beauty of it - When this camera is in manual What You See Is What You Get. I.e. when one stops down the aperture or varies the shutter speed what you see in the viewfinder is what going to be stored to the flash media, no more guessing especially with IR...

-> Remember the IR focusing is no longer the same as in visible light since different wave lenght bend differently through the various medium (I also remember vaguely about the Canon 20Da capability of previewing through the LCD for the very same reason)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:08 AM   #13

NHL wrote:
Quote:
My Minolta original Dimage 7 (plenty used for about $100) is also probably the closest thing to a dSLR in operation for IR, some very nice examples here: http://www.pbase.com/zylen/infrared
The 2001 vintageMinolta Dimage 7 is a very sought after camera for IR. Most other IR capablecameras like my Oly C-2020 are in the 2MP range, but the dimage 7 I believe is 5MP and also has fairly large sensels on it's CCD. Maybe not quite as IR sensitive as my Oly, butonly by about 3 stops, and the 5MP is a big plus.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:19 AM   #14
Administrator

Daniella used a Minolta DiMAGE 7 for some of her Infrared Photography for a long time, and has a page on her web site listing a few more cameras.

Make sure to see some of her Infrared Photography (it's wonderful):

http://www.infrareddream.com

Here is the page with info on more cameras:

http://www.infrareddream.com/irinfo.html

Minolta Dimage 7 (not 7i or 7hi)
Sony 707/717
Kodak DCS SLR cameras 620, 760 (14n?)
Olympus C2100
Olympus C2xxxx
Nikon 950 (not 990)
Nikon 800

Canon G1 (not G3)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:24 AM   #15

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Minolta Dimage 7 (not 7i or 7hi)
Sony 707/717
Kodak DCS SLR cameras 620, 760 (14n?)
Olympus C2100
Olympus C2xxxx
Nikon 950 (not 990)
Nikon 800

Canon G1 (not G3)

you could also probably add the Canon Pro70 to that list and maybe even the Nikon D1, but I don't know too much about either of these cameras.

http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm#handle This site has a lot of IR info, I don't think it has be updated for awhile, and it does get pretty technical in places, but still a lot of info

Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:30 AM   #16
Administrator

There are more (that's just the ones she was familiar with, listed on her web site).

I remember some pretty nice looking IR photos taken with one of the Panasonic models (DMC-FZ1) posted by a member not too long ago, too.

Apparently, the DMC-FZ1 is more sensitive to infrared compared to most (but, not the newer Panasonic models, which apparently have a stronger hot mirror/ir cut filter installed).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:52 PM   #17

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the link, I have seen her web page and the list of IR capable cameras. I have the Olympus C5050 which takes nice IR photos. I was experimenting with my D10 but was not happy with the results because of the hot spot in the center of every pic regardless of the apature or shutter speed. See photo example attached.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I guess I'll stick with my C5050 for IR photos.
Attached Images

shutterbug85284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:01 PM   #18

Hi Caboose,

When you took this IR photo how did you add in the brownish color of the road and sky? When I take IR photos with my Olympus C5050 I pretty much get just the black and white. See attached.
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:06 PM   #19

shutterbug85284 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Caboose,

When you took this IR photo how did you add in the brownish color of the road and sky? When I take IR photos with my Olympus C5050 I pretty much get just the black and white. See attached.
I shoot in color, I don't set it to B&W. Sometimes you will get some false colors, depending on the subject, but easy to get rid of them in post processing if you don't like them.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:38 PM   #20

I do shoot in color with the R72 filter and this is the result. I then remove the color so I have just a black and white photo. What should I do in post editing so I still have a color photo without all the redness?
Attached Images