Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 14, 2004, 7:54 PM   #11

Thank you so much for the information and the "heads-up". I am trying hard to find a web developer with technical and artistic abilities. Last week Beaufort and Savannah were the subjects of my photography and next week Charlotte and Charleston, so this doesn't leave much time for learning code to launch a site. Too, I simply don't have the patience. After thirty years in networking and telecom, I have hated writing code since my Fortran training. I even have frontpage, but found that I can either take pictures and process them or read yet another book and then develop a medeocre site. What I want is something special!

Re the previous note comparing Nikon's F series. I am reminded of the days when folks never believed telephony would be deregulated and that the same black phones would continue to serve well. A free and open marketplace, customer demand, technology, and new paradigms also drove the commoditization of computers so that new manufacturers, new technologies, competition, and a rapidly changing and more sophisticated/customer DROVE more features, flexibility, power and SO very much more. In a year or two 15 megapixels will be nothing, costs will plummet, and new manufacturers will be recognized.

When I asembled my first Sinclair computer, who could have even dreamed of today's home machines communicating with the world and RAPIDLY depleting multi gigabyte machines. Photography and cameras will very soon follow the very same inevitable course.
walkersart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:26 AM   #12

Have you tried to contact the person I suggested? I'm sure she could build you a very nice web site that will fit your needs.

While I agree with you that eventually 15MP will be nothing. It will absolutely NOT be in a year and probably not with current sensor technology. You are way to optimistic about such things. What drives a market is what the manufacturer can build at a price the customer is willing to pay. When the customer demands more than the manufacturer can provide then this drives innovation to make those features cheaper.

The camera market is not at this state and won't be for many years. And even if it were, there are things which amature/pro-sumer customers are not willing to pay for but a pro is. The vast majority of customers do not demand water proof cameras. This is why Pro cameras cost more... They have more features which the average person doesn't care about and it is built to take abuse and last.

I don't spend the extra money and buy "Pro" powertools. I don't need to drill through the same materials and I don't use that equipment 8 hours a day. They cost more and they are not worth it to me. Some people buy these things any ways because they can (i.e. they don't "need" them) but most don't because it is a waste of money.

The same applies to cameras. Most people want something light and small that takes decent pictures. They want a responsive shutter (something most cameras lack, that will be solved by competition... in the way you describe) and make decent prints (maybe) up to 8x11. They aren't willing to pay for 8-frames a second, wireless data transmission, exposure bracketing, replaceable screens, and all the rest you get in a "pro" camera.

Quote:
When I asembled my first Sinclair computer, who could have even dreamed of today's home machines communicating with the world and RAPIDLY depleting multi gigabyte machines. Photography and cameras will very soon follow the very same inevitable course.
I don't doubt this will happen too. But not any time soon.

Why hasn't the price of the F5 dropped? You keep saying that it is inevitable. Well, the F5 was introduced in 1996 (I believe) with a MSRP of $3,350. Why hasn't it droped lower in 8 years? You seem to suggest that todays $7,000+ digital camera will be at prosumer prices ($1,500) or less within a year. Can you please explain to me why this hasn't this happened to the much less complex F5? (pro-sumer film SLRs cost $400 or so)

In two years I can see maybe 12MP at the pro-sumer prices from Canon (but not a "pro" body.) What Nikon with do to replace the D70... I don't have a guess.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 3:34 PM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Carl:
You may want to be aware that your site does not render properly if a user changes their text size.
Hi,

Thanks for that, was unaware of that so will have to consult my dreamweaver manual and see what I can sort out.

Cheers,
Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 5:21 PM   #14

I definately agree about flash, it tends to be gratuitous. Depending on what is available on the server, java, javascript, or cgi can do a lot of the same things as flash often times in a more manageable manner.
just my $20/1000
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:01 AM   #15

Seeing as how I have a lot of pictures and I know that a lot of my audience has a slower connection than dsl or cable, I simply used Frontpage. It's easy and fast, it only takes me a few minutes to add another page to my site. I find that when dealing with high bandwidth things like photos, you need to keep the site simple.

-rob
http://strainphoto.com
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:34 AM   #16

If what you want is to show off the photos and not have the software get in the way, have you thought about MS Frontpage ? It's very simple to use and it is fast - look at http://www.manhoc.co.uk/ride_pictures.htmand click on one of the buttons on the left.

You automatically get a thumbnail, click on that for a bigger picture.

ALan
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:45 AM   #17

Some of you may be interested in the 1000.00 rebate now available on the Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c
walkersart is offline   Reply With Quote