Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:49 AM   #1

About two months ago I purchased a Canon Digital Rebel and have since taken about 2000 shots. I am ready to upgrade to a more advanced camera, but can't justify 16 Mp's cost ...but think this a good time to consider a used 11 Mp....if there are other professionals seeking to upgrade. At present I have the full range of Canon lenses for the rebel and A1, a Nikon 35 with a broad range of lenses, and a Mamiya C330 outfit (would love a rollei to swap this out). BUT, I have chosen the Canon for my digital route because of my Canon lenses. I just need a little more power, image sharpness, and the ability to continue using all the EOS lenses. Anybody have a GOOD used Canon Digital with around 11 Mp.

ALSO...I am launching a website to serve as a gallery. I would love to display small thums of all of my works and those of others, but with a "framed" effect. I have the domain, the web host, and a lot of work done on FLASH, but I am not a programmer. I very much need someone with some real ability and taste to take a look at what is already done and then take it from there to get this site up and running ASAP. Any site developers with the ability to handle a gallery site?

[email protected]

walkersart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:01 AM   #2

IMHO flash is a poor choice for a gallery, flash already uses a LOT of bandwidth, adding to that pictures to download and the sire will be all but unviewable on dial up. Just my 2c.

--
http://www.calisnaps.com
EnglishBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:56 AM   #3

I don't even pretend to be a site developer and would be greatly appreciative of a reference to someone with a combination of artistic and site development skills. My poor pitiful new website www.walkersartgalleries.com is horribly slow and GREATLY lacking in terms of either a photo gallery or art site. Honestly, I don't know what is the best site software. My desire is simply to have all of my pictures divided into topical galleries ( now have hundreds), to make them easy to be reviewed and then attractively and professionally displayed to the viewer with a minimal wait. Seems the combination of technical site development and artistic skills is hard to find! Many sites have pictures and are both slow and boring ...like that which is presently mine. To me a site has to have speed and pizzazz as well as taste and professionalism.

Too, I am optimistic that with Canon's new announcement of their top end digital there will be some movement in the availability of used 11 megapixel Canon bodies
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:32 PM   #4

You need to say what type of photography you want to do. We can't suggest a camera without knowing what you will do it with.

There are only 4 choices in the realm of "professional" Canon digital cameras. Old: 1D Current: 1Ds, 1D MkII Future: 1Ds MkII (anounced)

If you do action shots, the 1D MkII is very good, but it isn't 11MP (it's 8MP.) If you really mean that is a requirement, then your only choice is the 1Ds. A good, but expensive (very expensive) camera. Currently around $7,000 new. I don't know what used.

Check out pbase.com, see how people setup their galleries. I'm with EnglishBob on the no flash concept. I just disable it in my browser because I hate it so much.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:53 PM   #5
Administrator

Ditto on Flash. If I go to a site that doesn't have another way to view it, then I don't look at it (I can't stand Flash).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:27 PM   #6

I agree about FLASH. However, I want to have a stand-alone website where I can show my works, those of others, as well as pursue other avenues in a virtual gallery enviroment where the different rooms cater to other interests and pleasures. Too, I have seen many, many photographer's galleries. Some are dreadfully slow and others anything but artistic or even professional. The better ones are well organized, easy to navigate, fast to load AND depict the photos in beautiful ways, but most allowing one to drill down through various levels before wasting time with full page views. Some of the more attractive even present the final shots with captions, information or a framed effect. To me, my photography is an art that is growing daily, but requires a professional, tasteful, and artistic presentation. Each week I will be downloading hundreds of new works. My chief problem is simply finding that one very special web developer who understands the difference between a truly beautiful site and merely showing pictures.

As for the camera, I am sure that the 11 megapixel Canon ...like all otherdigital cameras...will become an incredibly competitive commodity just as PC's have done since I first paid 3000.00 for an IBM XT. In a year or two even Canon will have to respond to competitive pressure. The smart camera manufacturers will learn from the major computer and software vendors and give student discounts to those coming along now to develop brand loyaly AND develop user friendly turn key packages so that one can buy software, cameras, printers, computers and everything in between to drive an easy buy and implementation by the public. When the 16 Megapixel becomes more widespread the Canon 11 will come down in price and that will not be in two years. Actually, I think that we are on the crest of a new wave wherein there will no longer be the nonsence of consumer, prosumer or professional. The market will drive more power, more features AND more competition....soon. The successful competitor will HAVE to be the one that has better partners, better packages, and brand loyalty. THIS starts in the schools....I hope Canon is listening!

Anyone know a good site developer?
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:05 PM   #7

I'm unclear on something. Are you looking for a web developer that you can hire, or are you looking for tips on how to make your web site? Those are different things. What you described has absolutely nothing to do with using or not using flash. Well designed web pages is an art just as much as photography is. You need to figure out what you want to convey with your site and then find someone who can fulfill that in a way which works in lots of browsers.

If you are willing to spend the money, I might be able to dig someone up for you. I've read an article or two that someone wrote who is both a good photographer and good web designer. I gotta get to bed, but I'll look up the name tomorrow.

Could you please name the cameras you are talking about and not refer to them by the megapixel size? How large an image they produce is only a single element of their functionality (important, but they are so much more than an image sensor.) Yes, the 1Ds will drop in price on the used market when the 1Ds MkII comes out. I don't know how much, and I'm not knowledgable enough to guess. The price drop will certainly be in less than 2 years because the replacement for the 1Ds has already been anounced (on 9/21/2004).

There will always be professional and non-professional cameras. They are worlds apart in price because they are much harder to make. Yes, higher volume sales would make them a bit cheaper to make (and in theory raise quality... but that is already high.) But if you don't need the features of a Pro camera, why pay for them? Walmart has proven that for the vast majority of items sold cost is the primary driving thing in a purchase, not quality. (I don't subscribe to that, but I can afford to.)

The Nikon F5 has been out for many, many, many years. It is argueably the best 35mm camera ever made. It still costs $2,000 new. While history doesn't always fortell future events, I don't see the pro/non-pro distinction going away any time soon... not ever, really. Sure, todays tomorrow's non-pro cameras will gain some of the features of today's pro cameras. But there will always be a "pro" camera.

The Canon 20D and the 1D MarkII both are 8MP, but they are worlds apart in other ways.

Eric
Old Nov 14, 2004, 7:55 AM   #8

The person I was thinking of is:
Jan A Allinder.
Her web site is here:

http://wildlifephoto.net/

From there you can find contact info if you want. Her articles have been very sensible and useful. I don't know if she does contract work but you can always find out.

I've never met or talked with her, so "droping" my name will get you no where.

Eric
Old Nov 14, 2004, 3:50 PM   #9

Hi,

You may want to look at the following:-

Dreamweaver MX for creating your HTML pages

Rea Sofrware http://www.reasoft.com

ReaConverter - Convert your pictures size/make
ReaWatermark - Watermark your pictures in bulk
ReaGallery - Create Web Pages with thumbnails and full size pictures

If you want to see the effects of the above, my site

http://www.carls-photos.net

Uses all of the above!

Your prices seem a bit expensive! Or are mine way too cheap? :-)

Cheers,
Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 5:03 PM   #10
Administrator

Carl:

You may want to be aware that your site does not render properly if a user changes their text size. I keep my monitor resolution set to 1024 x 768 most of the time, using a large text size (125%), which IE honors for some sites (the browser text size is set to Medium).

Using IE, all of the text overlaps this way.

Using Firefox, it doesn't (because Firefox does not honor your Windows Font Settings for Browser Windows). However, if you increase the text size larger in Firefox, the same problem occurs (all text overlaps).

Here is the way your site looks (downsized to fit, but if you increase your text size, you'll see the problem):

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote