Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 7, 2004, 4:54 PM   #1

I think its time for me to move up to dslr and going with canon. These are few things and questions I'd like to know which camera would be better for.

1. Action photos, continous shooting and just one frame for snowboarding and bmx

2. portraits

3. best manual mode

4. least noise

Questions

1.Does the 20d have a full auto mode for everything for when I start out?

2. Is the 20d's weight feel like much oif a difference than the rebels

3. Is the 20d worth the extra money?

All advice is welcome

darklurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2004, 5:04 PM   #2

I was looking at the Rebel a week or two back, but decided to go for the 20D.

I was out this morning and took 320 shots in about half an hour. The 20D never missed a beat.

The 20D has several modes. One is FULLY auto and there are a few for different shooting conditions i.e. portrait, night, landscapes and then there are the usual modes full manual, TV, AV.

It's not a quiet camera, but it's a dream to use :-)
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 5:33 PM   #3

A couple of things to consider:

Do you already own lenses to fit whatever you buy? The 20D is around $1,500. The Digital Rebel $700-$800 (I have not looked lately). For the price of a 20D, you can buy a Digital Rebel AND 70-200 f4L lens. If you buy the 20D will you still be able to buy the glass you need to take advantage of the camera?

Both the 20D and Digital Rebel allow you to go either fully automatic with dummy modes or "P", and both offer full manual where you pick everything. There is no "best" manual mode. Manual is manual. The weak link in that process is the photographer, not the camera.

The best camera for action photos and continuous shooting is going to be the 20D, but let me again go back to my first point. If you buy this camera do you already own lenses to use, or if not will you have funds left to buy some decent glass? This does not mean you cannot do good action work with a Digital Rebel. Proof is in the post on this site titled "Digital Rebel and 100-400 rocks!"

The 20D is going to be "better" in noise performance, but the Digital Rebel at ISO 800 is better than film, and it's pretty darn good at ISO 1600 and (with the hack program installed) ISO 3200 too.

I own a 10D and Digital Rebel. The weight difference is substantial. The 20D is smaller than the 10D but is built to the same standards and with the same material, meaning it will be heavier than the Digital Rebel, which is an absolute featherweight. I use the 10D on jobs where I'm being paid or need the very top performance. When it comes to trips or fun stuff where I want to stay light the Digital Rebel, with a 17-40 F4L mounted, cannot be beat.

If you have the money the 20D is worth it. If you don't, it's not.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 2:00 PM   #4

does the rebel still have o.k action shots because thats a pretty important factor in my decision?
Old Nov 8, 2004, 2:33 PM   #5

I've never had a problem with it.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2628517

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2628509

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2613972

All taken with the 70-200 f4L. The hockey shots at ISO 800.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 4:00 PM   #6

darklurker wrote:
Quote:
does the rebel still have o.k action shots because thats a pretty important factor in my decision?
I would also say it takes good action shots. There are a couple of issues you need to be aware of though - first, it can only take a burst of 4 shots at a time then you've got a couple second delay while the buffer writes to the card. That's a big drawback if you like to take a 20 shot sequence. The second potential issue is the AI-Servo is only'always on' in the "Sports" creative mode - what I mean is that mode gaurantees you servo is in effect. However I prefer to shoot in Av or Tv mode where the Rebel, if it identifies movement will turn on the Servo. I haven't really had too much issues with it - I just always turn my focus point to just the middle point that way it's not really 'focusing' on an inanimate object by mistake. I believe the 20D allows you to turn on Servo manually in Av & Tv modes. So, within those restrictions it does well. If you are going to do a heavy amount of sports shooting these issues may be an issue in the long run - but at $600 difference in price you have to be honest with yourself about how big of an issue it will be.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 4:41 PM   #7

I had a Rebel but now i own a 20D, the reason for my upgrade is because i shoot sports.
I'm not saying the Rebel is not capable of getting good action shots because it is! Its a great camera but it just gets frustrating when you want to use 'creative' modes but your forced to use 'basic' just to keep the AI servo.I think AI servo is important. Also you cant go any higher than iso 400 in 'basic'.
For me, the 20D has improved the amount of succesful and useable shots. To be honest, nothing else!
It dos'nt make me a better photographer!
I still dont sell my pictures to SURFER magazine! lol

Good luck with what ever you choose. There both cracking cameras.

Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 5:18 PM   #8
J_R

for sports i would look at the 20d. i had the 10d and the upgrade for me was worth it. the rebel will work for you but as stated you will end up with more usable photos with the 20d. if you can afford the difference and feel that the speed of the 20d is what you need then go for the 20d...

good luck
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 5:32 PM   #9

Thanks for all the help and advice. I think I am going to go with the digital rebel and then buy some quality lenses. See you in that forum
Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:58 PM   #10

The 300D is a nice camera, but past its prime IMO. That said, the US rebate is a good deal, and you can get a package with two nice L lenses for about the cost of a 20D with a basic lens.

If money's no object, then obviously the answer's the 20D -- it's better in most respects, and much much faster than the 300D -- esp. when shooting JPEGs. There's no contest for speed between the two, if you want to stream out 20-30 frames of action / poses in a hurry.

The auto-focus performance is also said to be significantly better.

The 8MP will also give you slightly more magnification.

But trade-off that capability for better lenses, and the question becomes tough.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote