Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:00 AM   #11

Hi Jim, you are completely right, and I said that, the DPP came with my 20d also, but this software sucks..and how sucks..you won't believe..take a look later at www.dpreview.com and see what he says about this software. I am nikon and canon user, and I can tell you, canon is years-light behind nikon in software matters and bios matters, not telling about the white balance. The nikon capture editor is so easy, trustful and enjoyable to use, making the things easier. After that, if you want to go deeper, you can continue the edition at photoshop. But tell, why the heck a 1500.00 canon camera doesn't come with a decent software. I just bought this 20d, and I am thinking seriously to delivery it back, I am very dissapointed.
afocante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:51 AM   #12
NHL

afocante wrote:
Quote:
So, that was my primary question, why canon RAW file is bigger than NIKON ?
... the Nikon uses a more aggressive 2:1 on the compressed NEF than Canon

With regards to DPP: http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/dpp/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by afocante
I am almost doing that, and I don't know how people still say, oh this is the best camera ever !! That's crazy statement...
You are right, this is a crazy statement. There is no "best camera ever" and if there was in another 6 months to a year another will be "the best camera ever". What there is is a best camera, at this time, for a given type of shooting.

What you should be asking is "which is the best camera for me?" This is a question that can be answered with some certainty. To do this you have to tell us how much money you are willing to spend and what you will take pictures of. Studio shots? Animals? Kids? Bugs? Landscapes? Jewelry? Race Cars? Different shooting situations require different cameras.

Even then, we'll only tell you what is technically the best camera (at this time) for those purposes. There will be other things that matter like size, weight, & usability. I haven't read all your posts in this thread, but it sounds like you really like the usability of the D100. That matters a lot and should be seriously considered… if you find the camera hard to use, you will miss shots. So maybe you should consider the D70? From all I've read, it is a very good camera. I am assuming its design would be closer to the D100 than what Canon produces.

If money is no object, the two "best" cameras right now are the Canon 1Ds (is the 1Ds MarkII out yet?) and the Canon 1D Mark II. The first is the best for landscapes, macro work, things that you want to print really big (poster size), the 1D MkII is a action camera. It excels at nature photography, sports, things which require a FAST camera. Either camera can do a variety of things not listed here. But it should be pointed out that those two cameras are very expensive and they are not "the best camera to fit in a pocket".

For really big landscapes you start to head into medium and large format film cameras. We won't go there.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 1:00 PM   #14

Hi, I saw this DPP software, and believe me, it sucks, close to the Nikon Capture and Nikon Editor, this DPP really sucks, canon is far behind in this field.

About the cameras, my point is that I bought the 20D and I have the D100, it's a huge camera difference, but I wasn't expecting so primary errors in Canon, that should be solved years ago, as example of the white balance ! I like general subjects, and canon works excellent with flash, but the real matter of this 20 D it's the high iso with lower noise, so you think to NOT use flash, and when you did, under incadescent light, everything became yellow. I did exactly the same situation with D100, same light, and it's perfect. So a thing I wouldn't worry about before, now I have to.

Some of you guys also noticed the difference of light measure in canon 20D when you switch the modes ? From manual to AV ou TV or even P ?

afocante is offline   Reply With Quote