Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:42 PM   #1

Why in this world, the Nikon D100 had much bigger size in RAW with 6 megapixels than Canon 20D in Raw with 8 Megapixels ?

Why Canon software is so bad ? The nikon editor is the best software I've never seen so badsoftwarefor RAW files as Canon! Someone suggest anything ?
afocante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:06 PM   #2

Canon's RAW converter is bad, bad, bad, even if it is free.

I've not seen Nikon's software, but Phase One's Capture One RAW utility is as good as Canon's software is bad. It's what I use.

Last time I noticed Nikon's RAW converter was not sold with their cameras and had to be purchased separately, so their software HAS to be good or no one would be using it.

Are you sure you are comparing the RAW files of both cameras in making your statement about file sizes? Remember, with the Nikon you can produce huge TIFF files in-camera too, although I'm not sure why anyone would want TIFF files right out of the camera. Nikon's biggest RAW+JPEG files, according to charts on B&H's website, is 10.2MP. The Canon 20D's corresponding file is over 12 MP. The Nikon can do 18 MP TIFF files. I think that is what you are seeing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:18 PM   #3

Hi Greg

Man, this Canon software is bad as hell. Nikon capture is not free, but Canon is so bad that is not "free" also, you will have to find something else. I don't understand why those companies improve DIGITAL cameras and do not improve what is going to process the DIGITAL images, the software. Really, I just got this 20d yesterday, and I am really pissed. The nikon software is thousands of times easier, faster and better than cannon. MAke me mad to paid 1500 bucks for this camera with no software!!!

About the files, the I am talking about pure RAW files. Shooting nikon d100 RAW is bigger than shoot canon 20d raw with 8 megas, I just don't understand that. Also, I am having trouble with focusing in this 20d camera, not even talking about the worst automatic white balance I've never seen before. Some stuffs I have to worry with canon that I've never worried before shooting nikon, that's weird!!!
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:29 PM   #4

Sounds like you need to send that 20D back & buy a D70 instead since you already have a D100 & probably a set of Nikkor lenses too.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:38 PM   #5

I am almost doing that, and I don't know how people still say, oh this is the best camera ever !! That's crazy statement, Canon took 4 generations of camera to reach on Nikon, the D100. I have both, and I am using this Canon 20D with a Sigma 28-70 F2.8, which I presume is excellent lens. I am waiting for my 70-200 F4 L to arrive to do some more accurate tests.

But the RAW file..something wrong with it.....very strange...

Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:18 AM   #6
NHL

afocante wrote:
Quote:
I am almost doing that, and I don't know how people still say, oh this is the best camera ever !! That's crazy statement, Canon took 4 generations of camera to reach on Nikon, the D100...

But the RAW file..something wrong with it.....very strange...
Actually in compressed mode the D100's NEF is smaller than Canon's RAW except no one uses it in this mode: A worthless option really since it slows the D100 down (The D70 is compressed NEF only)! Canon does not let you chose, theses compressed RAW files are losslessly similar to PKZip in compression so no one is losing any data...

BTW Canon does offer Digital Photo Professional (DPP) which you can buy rivaling and even surpassing features of expensive, stand-alone and plug-in RAW image processing programs - such as instantaneous RAW image adjustment display (it's included in the mrkII's) :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:37 AM   #7

I am not compressing the RAW files in any camera..I was just wondering, why the Nikon withonly 6 megas has bigger files (about 2 to 3 megas bigger) than the Canon Raw Files.....

I tested the software you told me, it came with the camera, sorry, but sucks...really really bad....
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:42 AM   #8
NHL

afocante wrote:
Quote:
I am not compressing the RAW files in any camera..I was just wondering, why the Nikon with only 6 megas has bigger files (about 2 to 3 megas bigger) than the Canon Raw Files.....
The Nikon's larger RAW is uncompressed !
The Canon's RAW is by default (ie you can't chose it like on the D100)

Quote:
I tested the software you told me, it came with the camera, sorry, but sucks...really really bad....
The Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software does not come with the 20D! :O :O :O
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 9:05 AM   #9

So, that was my primary question, why canon RAW fileis bigger than NIKON ?

And sorry, but the DPP came with my 20D, it's a little black book with the DPP cd inside, and manual. The version I've got is the 1.1

Old Nov 8, 2004, 9:45 AM   #10

Well, hate to disagree but Digital Photo Professional ver 1.1 did come with my 20D. I usually process my RAW files in PS CS though I have Capture One as well. I have yet to test DPP.

Jim Cummings
JimCummings is offline   Reply With Quote