Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2004, 9:07 PM   #1

I had some problems with the Canon 20D Metering Mode, I come from Nikon and there the things are bit different in this field.

Does anyone has any documentation or website or suggestion explaining the 3 types of Metering Mode in Canon and specially the 20D model ? Really thanks !

afocante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2004, 9:35 PM   #2
NHL

FYI: http://photonotes.org/articles/begin....html#metering
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 9:38 PM   #3

From what I recall of the 10D, the manual does a fairly good job of describing it... including pictures. This is the answer based on the 10D, it's probably close to what the 20D does.

Partial metering is like a spot meter (but not as small a spot as the Nikon cameras.)

Center-weight metering puts an emphasis on the center, but still takes into account the rest of the pictures, with the weight of its influence droping as you go away from the center (at least, that is what the picture implies.)

Evaluative Metering divides the picture up into 35-zones and meters each of them. Then it probably looks up in a table for what the proper metering is for a scene with zones of those values. At least, I believe that is what it does... I think I read that somewhere.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 9:40 PM   #4

Of course, that link from NHL says it better than I did...

Oh well.

Eric
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:14 PM   #5

thanks guys, very useful, but now, in your opinion, which one works better ? Let's say in a wide angle landsacpe picture and in a indoor portrait picture with low light ?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 5:32 AM   #6
NHL

FYI http://www.camera.canon.com.my/archi...phy/art/art14/

As for indoor with flash, about the only way to get consistent results is with centerweight metering or through the FEL lock (which forces the camera to partial metering).

-> Stay away from evaluative metering with flash !!!
The 20D's E-TTL2 is supposed to fix this (by copying Nikon/Minolta's distance encoding) but I have yet to see it in action... In bounce (or multi-flashes) for example where the distances info are useless :?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:28 PM   #7

Which works better is very situational dependent.

If you are taking a picture of an isolated subject, and it is really that subject that matters then Evaluative Metering is probably not what you want. In that case I'd probably use partial. This is because I don't care too much if the background is perfectly metered... it's the subject I care about.

If you are doing a landscape, then you really want the entire shot done correctly. Then you probably want Evaluative.

NHL has loads more experience with flashes than I do, so I defer to him there (in fact, I *learn* from him there.)

Eric
Old Nov 9, 2004, 5:24 PM   #8
NHL

eric s wrote:
Quote:
NHL has loads more experience with flashes than I do, so I defer to him there (in fact, I *learn* from him there.)
Thank Eric

My experience with Canon goes all the way back to the FT-b!

Here's a tip for quickly switching metering mode without having to use the upper button and dial:
http://www.camera.canon.com.my/archi...rt/art14/8.htm
"In all the EOS cameras, it has to be remembered when you disengaged the EF lenses off their AF modes for them to be focused manually, the Evaluative metering no longer locks exposure readings from any of the multiple AF points in use. Exposure readings are memorised only from the centre AF point when manual focusing is being used..."

-> ie just flip the AF/M mode on the lens to go back and forth (after you've locked focus and before squeezing the shutter), it works with flash too... and save the FEL(*) for partial!
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:32 AM   #9

thanks guys...very useful information!!! I will test it !!! Alex