Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 9, 2004, 3:34 AM   #1

Hello all,

I've just shipped my Digital Rebel to the Canon repair center in Irvine, California for cleaning. The sensor got dirty, and following the instructions in the manual did nothing to help; if anything it made it worse. The view finder is now dirty, too.

What I want to know is what people's personal experiences have been having Canon clean the sensors (whether shipping by mail or taking to the repair centers in person if close enough). I've seen scattered stories on various threads, some rating excellent service, some not, and I'd like to have something of a comprehensive list under this thread of thumbs up/thumbs down, summarizing each experience (including turn around times). So I know what to expect with my camera. Thanks. BPR
Briantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2004, 9:25 PM   #2

No need to send to Canon, where results are mixed at best. Sensors need to be cleaned frequently and shippping to a service center and being without the camera for days or weeks is out of the question (for me at least)
What you need to get (in my opinion) is the Copper Hill cleaning kit. It is mentioned in either this forum or the Digital Photography Review forum (I confuse what I have read on each). The system if VERY COMPLETE very detailed, very accurate, very simple and, best of all IT WORKS. Check it out. A small first time investment $40.00- $50.00 and will save you big bucks and lots of downtime.
Good Luck
Al Amstutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 1:12 AM   #3

I had the same problem with my EOS20D. I noticed a 'speck " on my viewfinder three days after I bought it. I took it to the nearest camera shop ( Samy's ). I was directed to the repair department. The man took off the lens, used the blower/brush and gave it back to me. It looked worse! I bought the sensor swabs with the Eclipse Optics Cleaner Fluid. It cleaned the sensor, but did not clean the viewfinder. I went to the Irvine Canon Service Center the following business day ( about an hour drive ). Canon was willing to replace the focus screen but it was in back order. I had to wait for two weeks. I drove back to Irvine two weeks later.and finally had the focus screen replaced. I'd give Canon Service Center in Irvine a thumbs up. BTW I did not leave my camera there for two weeks.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:48 PM   #4

Ive had three Canon cameras and two are DSLR. Both made several trips to Canon and I dont think they did a single thing to them. All they do is say reset to specs. My 10D is extremely hard to get a in focus photo with compared to the D30 with the same 300mm f4L lens. I have reached the point where I dont think I will buy Canon anymore
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 3:08 PM   #5

Just wanted to update everyone about my repair experience. I just got my DReb back from the Canon repair center in Irvine, California today. It was just over two weeks since I sent it to them, so 15 days it was out of my possession, which seems to be the average turnaround time, based on other people's experience. But most importantly...they got that sensor CLEAN!I can't tell you how excited I am by that result; I mean, that thing was dirty, mostly due to my own incompetence. I didn't post this before, but I tried to clean it myself by trying some of the "self-help" methods I've seen bandied about online, didn't do it right, and only made it worse.

Here's a link to a page demonstrating: http://www.briantium.com/CanonDustGrid.htm

Overall, Canon did an incredible job. My only issue was the packaging they sent it back in was VERY poor; the camera was wrapped in a thin sheath of plastic with bubbles on one side, in a tiny box with packing "popcorn" that shook really badly.
Briantium is offline   Reply With Quote