Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:33 AM   #1

I took the plunge and purchased the 300D, after having just returned a G6 which I found unsatisfactory. The G6 suffered very soft and distorted edges among other things including hot pixels.

The 300D has arrived witha faulty exposure meter. It appears to be stuck around 1/200 F10, this is the same with the lens cap on and outside in bright sunshine. I am waiting for the light to reach the right level and then I will be able to take pictures that are properly exposed. It's not so badas I will be able to take pictures at least once a day!!

It does not matter which mode the camera is in it always meters the scene at the same level.

So it has got to go back.....but.....do I replace it or get my money back? Does Canon have an issue with quality control? It is going to cost me to return the camera, I do not want to pay out more money for future returns.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thank goodness my Sony F717, has to this day remained reliable, otherwise I think I would have taken up painting, and ditched digital photography. Just kidding.....I am an addict....incurable.

Thanks for any replies.
pauloffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2004, 9:57 AM   #2

I've had 3 canon cameras without any problems.
EnglishBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:23 AM   #3

The 300d is like most recent Canon cameras ,it is constructed out of the most godawfull cheap and tacky plastic!! this does not bode well for its reliability. there is a world of differance between it and the 10D, i find it amazing people cant see it for what it is?:O
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:21 AM   #4

I have seen hundreds of 300D's go through my store and not a one has been defective. I am wondering... what is the mode dial at the top of your camera set on?

When you half-press the shutter button.. is the little arrow under the bar the goes from -2..-1..0..1..2 under either extreme or the zero?

I have seen people that accidentally change the camera to manual settings due to lack of familiarity with slrs. It may be just that!

David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:07 AM   #5

It does not matter what the mode the camera is in, program, SP, orAP it always meters the same.

Gandolf065, it is nice to know that having sold so many cameras, that you have seen zero faults, are you impressed with the image quality over other high end cameras that you have sold?

One other question please. Is the lens(Kit lens 18-55mm) supposed to be so "sloppy" at the focus ring. I can move the lens from side to side whilst manual focusing and effect the image in the viewfinder. Surely this is not normal, as I have had lots of lenses with other SLR's, that barely move this waywhen extended.

In reply to Mweb. I realise that the camera is plastic, butit does feel fairly solid.I must admit that this aspect of the camera does not excite me very much, but I was surprised to findthat the camera still has some weight to it. Has anyone experienced problems purely becauseof the construction quality?

I very much appreciate receiving your replies, I have to decide on Monday what to do.

Thank you....Paul
pauloffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 1:14 PM   #6

I've had mine since July and the metering has never worked correctly on mine. I tried getting Canon to fix the camera but they claim there is nothing wrong with the camera. This camera is really designed only to be used in manual mode. The creative modes don't work as advertised (at least on mine). I'm now looking at trying to sell this camera ot at least trade it for something else.
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:53 PM   #7

I have had the 300D/Digital Rebel since September 2003 & it does everything(almost) that I expect or want it to do. My only complaint is the 4 frames buffer. I shoot 90% of my stuff outdoors in the TV Mode & the only problems I have ever had, is sometimes an image will wash out - I find that out in the computer AFTER I get home, but then I ALWAYS shoot 3 to 5 pix of the same subject in various angles, so I at least have 1 or 2 keepers in the bunch! I did not buy the kit lens as I already had the 20-35mm zoom, which I use more than I used to as it seems to do Much better if I am shooting it at 1/500th of a sec. My main walk-around lens is the 28-135 IS.

One thing I have learned about the EOS Digital & Film cameras. I ALWAYS keep my owners manual in my bag(s). I sometimes have to refer to them for Help, especially when I was out of town for 3 days recently & my 2 film bodies somehow got "off-kilter" - both were accidently setto over-expose by over 1 stop. It took me about 25 minutes in the Motel room that night to get them back to the settings they were supposed to be in! I NEVER had this problem with Manual camera bodies!!!

David

Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:41 AM   #8

PAULOFFRANCE-

Your camera should be under warranty.

My 300D has worked flawlessly since April. 7000+ shots.

Many people just do not understand the ruggedness and shock absorbing qualities of modern plastics. Some are superior to metal in many ways. I have bounced, banged, bumped my 300D on many occasions, with NO bad results. by the way I work in Automotive, so I appreciate plastics in many situations. If you bend or dent metal - it stays bent or dented. Plastic recovers quite nicely in many cases.

The 300D couldn't quite be called a "High End" camera, but it is a darned good introduction to the DSLR type of equipment.

Get a replacement if that is necessary and enjoy. The 300D isa really good camera !!

The 18/55 "kit" lens is a basic consumer quality lens. Mine (and many others) have the stickiness problem and also the slight movement at the mount. Not to worry, it is kind of normal for that lens. It is not considered any more than a "starter" lens. It will produce reasonably good photos with a little work on your part.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 8:07 AM   #9

Just got mine yesterday, perfect condition. The kit lens is pretty darn nice for the price as well.
klocwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:05 PM   #10

pauloffrance,

Being that I have the 10D, which has the same image sensor as your 300D I am quite impressed by the quality. As far as the kit lens, it is a cheapo consumer grade lens, but it is decent enough to get good wide angle, is light, and is portable. Popular science also tested it for resolving power and the 300D kit was able to pull down 1300 lines of resolution per inch! (that is 100 more than certain other super popular DSLR's) Just about every consumer grade lens I have played with has had some looseness to it involving the focussing mechanism.

If I were in your shoes I would be quite upset that I had gotten 2 cameras in a row that are lemons, and I would be on the phone with the company that they were purchased from. Don't let your bad expirience turn you away from canon. Try and get a 3rd camera from the current place, or even better just get your money refunded and purchase the camera somewhere else. If the 300D was a bad camera, it wouldn't have won the camera of the year award internationally!

Hope that helps.

David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote