Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 14, 2004, 1:41 PM   #1

I have a Canon 10D and would like to use it with some standard studio slave flashes. I have a Sigma EF-500 DG Super external flash. I know that the E-TTL flash emits a preflash that can set the slaves off prematurely. I have been experimenting with useing the FEL function with the camera's built in flash to fire a preflash manually, and then waiting moment for the Sigma flash to recharge, then take the picture. This seems to expose the shots in an acceptable way.
I am wondering if this will work with the Sigma flash mounted on the camera to fire studio slaves. Also, is there a way to make this work without having to use an FEL preflash. It can be problematic to do this all the time. (does the FEL stay set for only one shot, or for a series of shots?)
I assume that the Sigma flash could be set in "manual" mode to defeat the preflash sequence. Is there any way to make it work in E-TTL mode so the camera can "meter" the light in the shot automaticly.
danpate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2004, 6:40 PM   #2
NHL

danpate wrote:
Quote:
I assume that the Sigma flash could be set in "manual" mode to defeat the preflash sequence. Is there any way to make it work in E-TTL mode so the camera can "meter" the light in the shot automaticly.
That's correct... and then you can decrease the power of the Sigma by reducing its ratio so it won't contribute to the other lighting (if you want it not to)!

There's no way for the camera's E-TTL to communicate with the other standard strobes to modulate their output after the camera has made the initial measurement with the pre-flash.

E-TTL will only works with other E-TTL enabled flashes... a good thing since the Sigma is priced quite reasonably :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote