Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 14, 2004, 8:44 PM   #1

Is it possible to use a NIKKOR AF lens (currently being used with a Nikon n4004 SLR film camera that is about 16 years old) with a digital Rebel? I have a 35-70mm and a 70-210mm and am wondering if they will only work with a Nikon digital.

Thanks,

Terrik

terrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:48 PM   #2

Nope... Canon EOS (EF or EF-S series) only. You might be able to find an adapter to make the lens fit, but the automatic focus won't work.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:58 PM   #3

Wildman is right.

Here is another thought.

Assuming those lenses support matrix metering (you'd have to look at the lens chart that Nikon puts in their manuals... you can download the manual to find it.) you might want to get the Nikon D70. It's a good camera and it will be cheaper to buy the Nikon DSLR than sell the Nikon stuff and buy the equivalent in Canon.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:57 AM   #4

That's kind of what I was thinking... but I think my hubby (with great intentions) may have already gotten me a canon rebel for christmas. hmmmm? what to do? what to do? This is going to take some thought.

thanks you soooooo much!

terri
Old Nov 17, 2004, 3:55 PM   #5

Good lenses can last a long time... but digital camera bodies will come and go like the popularity of boy bands.

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:09 AM   #6

yeah, you'r right. I need to start dropping hints in hubby's direction. I hate to burst his bubble when he has done such a good job of coming up with a very thoughtful and appropriate gift all on his own and wants to surprise me. But, I suppose if it's going to be best in the long run...

This is the best site. Thanks for all the info!

Oh, and by the way, I do know how to spell cOmpatibility, duh! sorry.

Terri
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:48 PM   #7

It can always be exchanged, cant it
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:40 AM   #8

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong: as far as I talked to other people it seems that that the micromotor that turns the AF system on Nikon is actually located inside the camera body instead of the lens as seen on Canon.
So if this information is correct and you put an AF lens on a Canon you wont get auto focus... as there is nothing to turn the rings.
Shoot away, if I am very wrong I repeat, someone clear away this wrong info I got.
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote