Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:03 PM   #1
Fox

I have a chance to get an AE-1 for almost nothing. It needs a diode or something like that to make it work. I'm told that this will cost me $100. It's in good shape other than that. It has a few lenses, filters and a flash. My question is, is this sound like a good investment or should I save my money and invest in a newer camera? Did canon make any other newer camera's that used the FD lens? Is there anything special about the AE-1?

Thanks
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:25 PM   #2

Not exactly a digital camera :lol:, but here goes...

I have a AE-1P and an A1, the AE-1P is newer then the A1, A1 is a bit more advanced feature wise. There are many different models of Canon FD series cameras. Like the AE-1 and AT1, and others. With the top end being the F1. All were very good cameras built like tanks.

The AE-1, AE-1P and A1 suffered from a condition called shutter brap, this is actually caused by the lubrication failing on the flywheel for the instant return mirror.

I just had my A1 serviced for shutter brap andthe repaircost 200$cdn, I only had it done for sentimental reasons, this was my first real camera from way way back. If the AE-1p failed I would not have it repaired, but then I don't use it much anymore.

I do regularly use the A1 as my black&white film body. These old bodies did not do to well in the very cold unless they were winterized by a technician to remove the shutter lubrication, then re lubricated for warm weather use. Modern cameras no longer required this with the new space age materials used in them.

A good condition AE-1P sells for about 200$cdn with a rather good 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 lens.

They do require a 6v battery that is still available.

They are fun cameras to play around with, but you have to remember to focus :G, something I on occasion forget to do.:blah:

Canon went form the Ax and Fx series bodiesto the Tx series bodies,then to the EOS bodies. I believe the Tx series also used the FD mount and cameras like the T90 are still sought after. It was an incredibly advanced camera for its time just without auto-focus.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:31 PM   #3
Fox

Peter, Thanks for the information.

I just noticed the post about Posting All Canon SLR's in the other forum! Sorry about that Steve, My bad.:sad:
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:43 PM   #4
NHL

I still have the A1 and the F1n as well...

The F1's is built like a tank, but it weights like one too. The A1 (and AE series) are actually polycarbonate top and bottom and are much lighter
... the problem with my A1 is it's red LED keeps going off for no apparent reason while the camera still shoots normally!!!

PeterP is correct the T series are the last camera series to use the FD mount. They did make the T80 with FD mount with the AF built in the lenses, but it did not last long because the Minolta with the AF in the body killed it! :-)

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...SLRs/canont80/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 5:28 PM   #5
Fox

Sounds like I should keep the lenses and get a T80 or T90.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:40 PM   #6

The T90 is one BADD camera! I had it along with 2 -of the New style F-1's & 8 Canon lenses. sold or traded 2 - F-'1s & 4 lenses & Gave my 19 year old my T90 & 3 lenses, Sunpak 383 Super flash, a nice Lowepro bag & he has yet to take a full roll of film & has had this gear since December 2003. I went EOS Film bodies & lenses because of my eyesight & then added the 300D. Still use the EOS-3 for slides, & the Elan 7 is sorta a back-up or can be loaded with slides & I use a 50mm lens on it.

Good luck in what you buy.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 8:02 AM   #7
Fox

The more I read about the T90 the more I think that's the one for me. Thanks railfire.