Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:21 PM   #1

What is the largest CF memory card size I can use with my digi reb I have a 256 and 512, can I go up to a 2 gig?

Geno
genohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:44 PM   #2

You can go as big as they make 'em. The Digital Rebel can take any CF card made, so you could buy a 4 GB card.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 4:26 PM   #3

Hi,

The largest CF is 8Gb but is a fortune!

I'd personally get a few 1Gb, that way if you loose or one gets destroyed you don't loose "that" many!

Cheers,
Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:30 PM   #4

Buy a 1GB card... it's close to the "sweet spot" and holds a lot of pictures. The whole memory business is changing rapidly. In six months, buy another one if you need it. The price will be lower then. It's hard to imagine needing to take more than two or three hundred shots before downloading. Having said that, the RAW + large JPG mode on my 20D eat up 12 MB each. I'm limited to about 80 shots on my 1GB card.

Funny story... I went out on a test shoot with my new 20D the other day and had accidently set the camera to shoot continuously. I pressed the shutter and got seven identical 3.6 MP shots of the local lighthouse!
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:59 PM   #5

The related question. I s there a dvice which is small enough to carry and can dowload pictures from the card reliably in the field. batery operated and not need to carry a laptop and obviously not very expensive.

These days 1 GB card are around $90 and 5 cards would cake $ 450.

I have FZ10 which is 4MP and one 256MB card holds 144 pictures and when i go out i v easily fill 2-3 card with similar 7 shots of lighthouse. I wonder that such a solution may be cheaper as with 2 cards only one can dowload pictures off the card in the field and keep shooting.

aghauri
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:26 AM   #6

There are many such devices. They are usually called "digital wallets" Check out this link:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_...s.html#storage

some of these are a bit old, but it will give you an idea of what is out there.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:11 AM   #7

The four things to think about here are filesystem, cf1/cf2, price, and speed. If your camera is like most recent models you should be able to use any cf card you like. cf is really nice in that the controller is integrated into the card rather than camera so old devices tend to be able to use the new cards. and at any rate there should be no problem whatsoever with a reb using a 8gb. financing is likely another story:-)
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 8:36 PM   #8

Thanks

So much out there and we still want bigger cards for a high price.

aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote