Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 14, 2004, 8:56 PM   #11

Hey Peter...thanks for your input. Your situation sounds like mine for sure. I used an older but unused set of Duracell ProCell's and they did almost nothing, but did show full charge on the display, until I tripped the shutter. Then I put in a new set only a couple months old of Memorex (great buy on 50 of them, but...) and got a couple more shutter trips before getting same thing. But if I removed the AA pack waited a couple seconds and then reinserted it. I would get same thing again...sometimes with 2 or 3 trips ifwas pointing it a brighter scene.

Now someone replied in a newsgroup posting they got 50 shots out of fresh AA's. Hmm...I dont see that happening right now. I should get the new Energizer 2500 milliamp rechargables with the 15 minute recharger which shouldnt be too bad if I can get 4 refreshed in 15 and do two more after that. But of course...now we are kinda defeating the whole idea of having a convenient source of quick power if they arent charged...and we need to stop at convenience store for 6 alkalines right?

LOL oh well...
mbsevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:53 PM   #12

The best thing to do is to buy additional BP-511 batteries. You can find them really cheap on eBay. I have at least half a dozen, and keep them charged and ready. I wouldn't even consider using AA batteries. I keep extra BP-511s on hand. With the grip on my 10D and 20D I can use 2 BP-511 batteries, and I've never run short on power. ...John
JKAyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:55 AM   #13

John thanks for reply. Yes I agree its best way to go...but I know after many years of professional videography and dead cells in a $60,000 Betacam, and thus missing a shot...that having that little insurance in AA power is kinda nice.

I will keep plugging away but love to hear from others and whether they have issues like this too.

I will know more tomorrow when I will purchase 6 brand spanking new AA's just to experiment. I have seen many 511 replacements on Ebay...but I dont know if I would trust most of them.

Anyone else on this? I know from past experience that Varta (Rayovac) makes good replacment cells and packs. Just have to find them in Canada...because I am not going to pay $150 for new Canon 511's
Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:06 PM   #14

Update...put fresh new Duracell Ultra's in my grip and its works fine. Canon tech called me and stated mAh output must be fairly high. My other alkaline batteries were just not up to snuff.

Now...about these other horror stories about the grip being pulled hard from the body on right side and losing menu and other issues.

Canon? Care to respond? Seems to me there should almost be a small latch or catch on the right side to firmly connect the grip to the body.

Hmmm....
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:16 PM   #15

I havent experienced this power loss issue with the grip but I am not sure I want to either. I have called Canon and they insist on getting the grip back to perform a fix. I have read in Rob Galbraiths forum that a customer did JUST THAT...and he has has NO problems since Canon fixed it. I am taking mine personally there ASAP.

FYI
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:05 AM   #16

I just bought the grip today with a second battery.

I've tried pulling and pushing and twisting and I can't fault mine.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:29 PM   #17

Paul...well thats good to hear. I am afraid to pull or do anything with mine. LOL

Anyway...I have already filed a call with Canon Canada and I am assured they know of the problem and will execute a repair of some form or another to the grip when I drop it off with them. I just have a hard time letting it go for 2 or 3 weeks so soon after getting it!

Cheers.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 6:04 PM   #18

When you're taking vertical photos it is a lot easier. Something like sports or portraits. It also helps balance the camera if you have a very heavy lens on the other end.
WesleyWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:04 PM   #19

Just thought I'd mention, I have just received my Canon E1 hand strap and it makes holding the 20D with BGE2 much easier.

No need to keep a tight grip on it all the time.
Attached Images

Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:51 AM   #20

AA alkalines can supply a lot of power over long periods of time. Think of it as being able to water your flower bed with a 3/4 inch hose with lots of pressure. However, a 20D needs squirts from a fire hose - and that's where Li-ions really shine - delivering big jolts of current and keeping them coming. It's known as having low internal resistance. After delivering a few big jolts, AA's need time to recover, and they can, but to the camera, it looks like a dying Li-ion in need of a recharge on board. So the camera gives the low batt signal and shuts down. If you let the AA's recover for a bit and pop them out and then back in, the camera thinks the old batt went out and a fresh one came in and resets itself. That's why they seem to work again. AA's will last a good bit, but you've got to take it slow with them.
Cajun1 is offline   Reply With Quote