Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:49 PM   #1

Just wondering, the BGE2 gripletsthe 20D run ontwo 511a batteries or 6aa cells, and adds a vertical release.

Does it add any other useful function?

(trying to talk myself into spending even more, the BGE2 is normally 299.95$cdn and a 511a is 129.95$cdn, I've been given the opp to get both for 289$cdn, with a canon ex180 gadget bag whatever that is.)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2004, 3:49 PM   #2

If you shoot verticals very often the second release is worth the price by itself. If you shoot extended events like weddings, races, etc, the extended shoot time two batteries loaded at once givesis worth it by itself. If I take my camera on a trip where it is either around my neck all day or in a bag I am hauling around, I leave the battery pack for my 10D and/or Digital Rebelat home- on the 10D it does make the outfit, to me, substantially heavier.You can always carry extra charged batteries & leave off the battery pack-batteries only take a couple of seconds to change.

What does make the pack nice is when I have the camera mounted on a flash bracket. I don't use quick off gadgets. I screw my camera directlyinto the base of the bracket itself, so if you have the packmounted you can remove the batteries by opening the compartment on the backside of thepack instead of having to screw the camera off the bracket to get at the bottom loaded battery door.

The camera is easier to balance with the pack if I am using my 70-200 f4L. I can only imagine how much better it works if you are using one of the even bigger tele zooms or big guns like a 300 f4 or f2.8.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:31 PM   #3

I am also toying with the idea of buying the BGE-2.

For me, I think the capability of being able to use AA cells in an emergency would be almost enough reson to buy.
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 3:03 PM   #4

Just remember that the battery pack is for "Emergencies". It will last about 20-30 shots and thats it !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:33 PM   #5

Just one voice of dissent. I was all set to by the grip for my 10D until I tried it out. Man it makes the camera big. I also did not see the utility in needing a second battery on my 10D since I could generally get 450 to 500 shots per battery and changing is only seconds. Plus on by bracket I could still change the battery without removing the camera from the bracket.

Now that I have the 20D and the battery life is so much improved that I really can see no reason for needing two batteries in the camera.

I did think the second shutter button was a nice addition but that was the only functionality that I saw any value in.

I think it comes down to balance and how it feels. I know there are several here that love the grip, so I am not saying don't buy it if you find it useful, but I don't think it is a slam dunk decision.

Ed
edshrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:55 PM   #6

Making the camera big/cumbersome would be most annoying at times. But like I said, I have the opp to get the grip with a battery for slightly less than the price the grip normally sells for on its own. I'll have to go and try it out to see how it feels.

Was mostly trying to convince myself :-).Might be useful for winter shooting, you get to freeze two batteries at the same time :-)

The 20D manual says the bg-e2has a vertical shutter button, electronic dial, AE Lock/FE Lock and AF point select button. So it adds a pile of duplication to the array of controls on the camera already.:?
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:20 AM   #7

Peter,

I don't think the grip is a bad add-on if it helps your shooting style. I know several here who have found it very helpful. But I also have found a few like myself who find that all it really did was make the camera really big. Personally I am glad I spend my additional dollars on lenses.

I would also have to say one of the things that first attracted me to the grip was the look. Would make the camera look more professional, but then realized how little of importance that really was to me.

I have taken my camera hiking around loads of National Parks, to DisneyLand and other great spots. In every case a bigger camera would have been a big inconvenience for me.

I am not saying don't get the grip if you need it, but make sure it is something your will really find useful. With the long battery life of the 20D, and the fact that it just takes seconds to replace the battery, I think a second battery in camera really does not add a lot.

Ed

edshrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:32 PM   #8

I tried the camera with and without the grip, and I suspect it might be your hand size that affects if you like it or not. I have largish hands and found the 20Dbody rather small, the little finger had nothing to hold on to. I found with the grip attached the camera sits much morecomfortably inmy hand. So I ended up getting it.

BTW: the bag that came with the accessory kit was a LowePro ex180. I also picked up a RS80N3 remote shutter release, and a 1gb Sandisk eXtreme CF card.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:19 PM   #9

:?
Greetings all...I just received my 20D and I have noticed that even with fresh AA alkalines the camera will not function properly. I get maybe one or two releases and then display shuts down and I get the dead battery indicator flashing.
I tried two different sets of fresh alkalines! Damn! Reason I bought this grip is to have that fall back ability when lithiums go dead!
Anyone else encountering this?
mbsevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:09 PM   #10

Somethng does not seem right, I only tried it once to see what would happen and got about 15 shots off on a set of Duracells Ultras, using a USM lense.

I am considering getting a set of 1800mah AA lithium rechargables to keep around, not sure if you can safely use them in the grip though.

I have been flailing around with the 20d for over 3 weeks now with the dual batteries in the grip and the camera still shows full charge. I think this camera is quite good at power management.