Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 20, 2004, 9:34 PM   #11

Wow I read the descriptions of those 2 sigma flashes and the only difference that stood out was the weight one is 11.83oz the other is 11.3oz. maybe one is a newer version of the other?

I have used both the Safesync, and a pocket wizard with a canon 10d (20d next week :-) WooHoo)and a nikon d70&d100(not mine, I belong to a rather big camera club get to try lot of stuff at their workshops). Never tried with a dRebel as I don't have access to one yet.

If you can visit a proshop take your camera with you and give it a try in store, then you can be sure 100% what you get will actually work.

edit: NHL thats what I get for reading the descriptions at the adroma site :?

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 9:46 PM   #12
NHL

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Wow I read the descriptions of those 2 sigma flashes and the only difference that stood out was the weight one is 11.83oz the other is 11.3oz. maybe one is a newer version of the other?
The EF-500DG Super model have theses extra features over the DG only model:
1. Master (like the 550EX and the ST-E2) and Slave modes
2. Modeling Light (stroboscope effect)
3. Rear Curtain sync
4. Can also be used slaved wirelessly to studio strobes (not available on Canon's)

FYI this is same as the Calumet's: http://www.adorama.com/BZPRT.html?se...iver&item_no=7
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:08 PM   #13

I really appreciate all of the information. You guys have been the proverbial fountain of info (I have about 12 Google searches up right now based on this chat). However, I wish there was someone around that has been in my situation with the Digital Rebel and needing it to trigger strobes. I'm afraid there are so many differences between cameras that any solution that may have worked for the 10d or a Nikon D70 may not work as well or at all with the dRebel. I only have a few weeks left before the baby and I need to get this stuff working, or sell it all and go back to my Nikon FM.

Anyone?

BTW, NHL - I tried the FEL trick and it does work, but what a pain! I can't imagine having people sit there between shots while I leave the area to fool my camera. Not that I'm trying to look like a pro or anything :G
cterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 12:37 AM   #14

Cterrell, check this thread over in flash(studio)http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=54&page=4

Looks likeminutephotos got his rebel to work with alien bees using a wireless trigger. Last three posts on that page are minutephotos talking about his success.

Ah only a few weeks away from no sleep :-), sounds like a Christmas baby. Congratulations

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 1:08 AM   #15

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Cterrell, check this thread over in flash(studio) http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=54&page=4

Looks like minutephotos got his rebel to work with alien bees using a wireless trigger. Last three posts on that page are minutephotos talking about his success.
Thanks! Sounds like a good idea. BTW, the eBay ID was wrong in his post. It is joesphotoauction2000 http://stores.ebay.com/Joes-Photo-Auction and he carries a couple of different remote triggers. I guess for $50 or so, it's worth a try. I will attempt to contact minutephotos and see if he can give me more details on what he is doing.

Quote:
Ah only a few weeks away from no sleep :-), sounds like a Christmas baby. Congratulations
Yes, I am working alot of late hours right now to prepare myself. Luckily, I have almost 3 months of vacation that I haven't taken to help keep me sane. Wheeeee!!!

Old Nov 21, 2004, 1:14 PM   #16

Good Afternoon,

I have a portrait studio and I used a 300D with my manual studio strobes for 4 months before I got my 20D.

I used a little cheap Vivitar on top of my cameral in manual to bounce off the ceiling and trigger the built-in slave on my main light.

I'm hoping to get radio control after the first of the year.

Good luck!
pep9454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:32 PM   #17

pep9454 wrote:
Quote:
I used a little cheap Vivitar on top of my cameral in manual to bounce off the ceiling and trigger the built-in slave on my main light.
Is it a Canon dedicated flash or just a generic one that works with all cameras? I have an older flash for my Nikon FM that I tried to use in manual mode on my DRebel, but it would never fire the flash on any setting.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 4:04 PM   #18

Well, I love my 300D so much more now that I have studio strobes :|.

Personally in comparing the two, I thought the 420EX flash sucks when compared to my Alien Bees AB800's. You can use the 420EX to trigger the strobes but you have to press and hold the FEL button first. This makes the 420EX do its preflash and lock in settings. Otherwise it does is right before you shoot and triggers the strobes too soon making photos dark.

I use a small $49 wireless trigger from http://www.joesphotoauction.com/. These things are cheap in both ways but they work great. They also have a low trigger voltage so no fear of harming camera electronics.

I use two strobes and a sekonic light meter. If setup time is not a big issue or you will alsways setup in the same location you may not need a light meter, you can chech with LCD or post in computer and then readjust until you get you lights dialed in. I use a meter when I go on location and it helps get me there faster even though I don't follow it exact. I stil readjust to my liking.

Good luck... The Drebel works great with strobes. I also use the 18-55 kit lens, 55-200 usm and the 50 1.8 lens and they are great starter lenses. The better the light the better they will work.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 6:59 PM   #19

Well, I got my strobes to work with my DRebel using the old flash for my Nikon FM. Turns out I wasn't seating it all the way so the positive terminal wasn't hitting.

I think I'll probably sell my 420EX and get the Sigma EF-550 Super (as NHL suggested, THANKS!) so I can have a decent flash that works as both a dumb strobe trigger and a good E-TTL flash when I'm out of the studio. I may, at some point, go to the wireless solution that minutephotos has, but I'll probably wait until I get a bit more comfortable using this stuff.

Last question: What settings on the camera are you using to get good results? Is there a better white balance setting than Flash? Any other hints?

Thanks guys, you have been life savers!!!

- Craig

Old Nov 21, 2004, 7:28 PM   #20
NHL

cterrell wrote:
Quote:
Last question: What settings on the camera are you using to get good results? Is there a better white balance setting than Flash? Any other hints?
If you are using with the E-TTL flash also set the DRebel on manual -> this will achieve two(2) purposes:
1. You can control both the shutter and the aperture
2. The flash metering will change to center-weighted metering

In Av, Tv, and P modes, if you don't use the FEL button (which forces the camera to partial metering), the camera is defaulted to evaluative metering which can be very unpredictable because the exposure will follow any AF point that the camera has selected! :evil:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote