Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 20, 2004, 3:55 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 11
Default

I just purchased a used 300D Digital Rebel along with most of the available accessories (battery grip, 2 lenses, 420EX flash, remote, etc..) to use in my newly setup studio in my home. I had already purchased an inexpensive strobe set (Britek PS200H's, and yes, I know they're cheap...). And, as everyone else has learned, the wonderful E-TTL feature of the 300D prevents the camera from triggering the strobes properly.

My question is, is anyone using the Digital Rebel with studio strobes? And, if so, what exactly are you using and how are you using it? I just need to know what to buy or do to make this work so my wife doesn't kill me for spending over $1000 on a room full of junk.
cterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2004, 4:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,396
Default

Setup should work fine! What are you using to trigger the strobes? A PC cord using a hotshoe->Pc connector adapter or a wireless trigger? Both would connect to the camera through its hotshoe.

Studio strobes need the camera set in manual mode, usually you set the lights to provide a measured Fstop and set the camera to that, any shutter speed under 1/250(I think that is the drebles sync speed) will work.

If you are trying to usea flash on the camera to optically trigger the strobes, it probably won't work out too well with the drebels e-ttl.



PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 4:23 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 11
Default

Sorry, I should have specified what I was trying.

I was using the 420EX to try and trigger the strobes with no luck because of the E-TTL pre-flash. I have not yet purchased another trigger device since I have read several articles on the danger of using PC sync triggering with the new digital cameras since most strobes have a voltage >6 volts that Canon specifies. Mine, for instance, are between 8 and 9 volts.

I would be fine purchasing the Wein Safe-Sync HSHS adapter, but I wanted to hear from people who were actually using it, or another method (wireless for instance), with this camera to trigger strobes. I don't want to go through several different devices to find the one that works (feel free to call me lazy).

Thank you for replying!!!
cterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:56 PM   #4
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,543
Default

cterrell wrote:
Quote:
I was using the 420EX to try and trigger the strobes with no luck because of the E-TTL pre-flash.
Your 420EX is an automatic flash only (even when the camera is on manual); however you can force it to trigger the studio slaves this way:

1. Aim the camera at something bright up close and away from the studio strobes and press the FEL button -> this will force the pre-flash to fire.
2. Keep the FEL button pressed while composing your subject. When you press the shutter release, the 420EX now only fire once with only a low intensity beam (obtained from measurement of the previous E-TTL pre-flash that you forced by using the FEL button



Also FYI: http://www.shutterbug.com/test_reports/1004sb_calumet/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:04 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 11
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
1. Aim the camera at something bright up close and away from the studio strobes and press the FEL button -> this will force the pre-flash to fire.
2. Keep the FEL button pressed while composing your subject. When you press the shutter release, the 420EX now only fire once with only a low intensity beam (obtained from measurement of the previous E-TTL pre-flash that you forced by using the FEL button
Would I have to do this for every shot? If I am shooting more than one person, this could become a real time-consuming fix. I would prefer to not even use the 420EX in the studio if I don't have to. I was aiming it away from the subject anyway, using it only for a trigger.

Anything else I could do?
cterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:07 PM   #6
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,543
Default

cterrell wrote:
Quote:
Would I have to do this for every shot? If I am shooting more than one person, this could become a real time-consuming fix.
Yeap

That's because of the low-end 420EX design. The 550/580EX or the Sigma EF-500DG Super can all be forced into manual and their power decrease through the power ratio -> hence only one flash (no pre-flash). You can't with the 420EX since it's strictly an automatic flash!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,396
Default

Yup, if you are afraid of the high trigger voltages seek out a wireless radio trigger like the pocket wizard.

One unit plugs into your strobe, the other into your hot-shoe, and no wires to tangle. Slightly expensive option though. The Safesync is a much cheaper way to go.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:19 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 11
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
The 550/580EX or the Sigma EF-500DG Super can all be forced into manual and their power decrease through the power ratio -> hence only one flash (no pre-flash). You can't with the 420EX since it's strictly an automatic flash!
I can't afford the upper-end Canons. I checked out the Sigma EF-500DG Super (looks very nice) and found it for $199 at Amazon. They also have a Sigma EF-500 ST-DG for $149. What's the difference?
cterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:22 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 11
Default

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Yup, if you are afraid of the high trigger voltages seek out a wireless radio trigger like the pocket wizard.

One unit plugs into your strobe, the other into your hot-shoe, and no wires to tangle. Slightly expensive option though. The Safesync is a much cheaper way to go.
Have you actually used these with the Digital Rebel? Any issues I should be aware of before I buy either one?

My wife is a bit put off by the fact that I spent all of this money and still can't take good studio-quality photos and I want to make sure and get the right thing before our baby comes next month. Thanks!!!
cterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:28 PM   #10
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,543
Default

cterrell wrote:
Quote:
I can't afford the upper-end Canons. I checked out the Sigma EF-500DG Super (looks very nice) and found it for $199 at Amazon. They also have a Sigma EF-500 ST-DG for $149. What's the difference?
The Sigma without the Super has less features and does not have the wireless mode for example (ie you want to buy the Super!):
http://www.sigma-photo.com/html/news/500dg_st.htm
http://www.sigma-photo.com/html/news/500dg_super.htm


Actually I've used two Sigma's EF-500DG Super with my 550EX for a wireless set up, all in automatic E-TTL: http://eosseries.ifrance.com/eosseri...ork_ssfil.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:32 PM.