Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:17 AM   #1

A few months ago I got a Sigma 500 DG Super for my digital rebel. The flash has been great, but being unskilled at using a bounce flash I'm running into some difficulties. The problem I seem to be encountering is setting a correct angle of the flash in order to get the proper results. It seems like I have to adjust the angle so that the light will bounce on top or slightly behind my target. It often seems to take a couple of shots to get the correct angle down. Am I missing something or doing something wrong here? This is making using the bounce flash too tricky and I find myself using it 'strait on' which gives less than desired results. My consternation was increased by going to a wedding recently where the photographer was using a Canon 1D with a 580 flash that he always had pointing strait up. Any help from those more experienced with flash photography would be greatly appreciated. I usually shoot flash in P mode using the FEL to lock exposure on my target (something that has increased my likelyood of a good shot) and leave the flash in ETTL mode. Again, any help is appreciated.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:08 PM   #2
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
It seems like I have to adjust the angle so that the light will bounce on top or slightly behind my target. It often seems to take a couple of shots to get the correct angle down.
You want the bounce to be in front and not behind (otherwise the faces will be darkened)!
The photographer's flash was pointing straight up, but the camera was angled downward so the effect of the bounce is still directed toward the front like this diagram illustrates: http://eosseries.ifrance.com/eosseri...ork_tech1.html

Also check out a Lumiquest (no wall required)! :-)
http://www.lumiquest.com/lq931.htm
http://www.lumiquest.com/how.htm

Quote:
I usually shoot flash in P mode using the FEL to lock exposure on my target (something that has increased my likelyood of a good shot) and leave the flash in ETTL mode.
You might want to put the camera on manual instead of P and give it a try (the flash is still on automatic E-TTL). What this does is force the camera's flash metering to center-weight... you can still overide it with FEL lock whenever you want to!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote