Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:50 PM   #1

what's an AI servo? how does it help me? i hear i can "hack" my digital rebel to make it use the AI servo in all the modes, not just sport mode. will this void my warrenty? is it worth it??

thanks
GregM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:05 PM   #2
Administrator

BongLoard wrote:
Quote:
what's an AI servo? how does it help me?
Basically, it's tracking Autofocus (and works best when a subject is coming directly towards or away from you).

Quote:
i hear i can "hack" my digital rebel to make it use the AI servo in all the modes, not just sport mode.
The benefit is when you're shooting a fast moving subject in lower light, where you need to set higher ISO speeds than are allowed in your model's sports mode. For example, you want to use Aperture Priority (Av) mode with a larger aperture for faster shutter speeds with ISO 1600. Because Depth of Field will be vary shallow at larger apertures (represented by smaller f/stop numbers),accurate focus is critical (andAI Servo can help you to get focused shots of moving subjects).

Quote:
will this void my warrenty?
Probably (or so I've heard).

Quote:
is it worth it??
Only you can answer that.

P.S. -- I'm moving this post to the Canon EOS Digital SLR forum, where youmay get better informed responses from Canon users.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:39 PM   #3
smd

I am using the dRebel with the "hack". Can anyone tell me how to get the AI servo to work? I thought I got it into that mode, and the AI servo works but no shots will fire. Can anyone fill me in on how to get this to work?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sam D.
smd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:37 AM   #4

Id be interested if anyone has got the AI servo to work in other modes with the hack. I cant get mine going only in sports mode (.JPG :sad: ) I had come to the conclusion it was one of those items that doesnt work in the hack.

Smudger
Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:57 AM   #5
Administrator

smd wrote:
Quote:
I am using the dRebel with the "hack". Can anyone tell me how to get the AI servo to work? I thought I got it into that mode, and the AI servo works but no shots will fire. Can anyone fill me in on how to get this to work?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sam D.
I don't own this camera, but did some digging around. Apparently,AI Servodoes not work as it should. But, there is a workaround (requires releasing shutter button and pressing it again).

With the camera set to AI servo, press the shutter release half way and begin tracking the subject. When thesubject gets to just the right place for the shot, quickly remove your finger from the shutter release button and immediatelypress the button all the way down. The camera will fire, with the focus where it had gotten to before.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote