Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:08 AM   #1

3 weeks ago purchased the 20D with 11-22 EFS USMzoom and 28-105 EF USM zoom.

Having taken some 300 shots I am of the opinion that all the images are soft, even appearing out of focus. Think soft focus portrait lens. The images are very smooth and noise free but I'm not happy with the lack of bite.

I take RAW plus large JPEG.

I moved from Sony F828 which although produced noisey images were always bitingly sharp. I cannot replicate this level of sharpness with my latest purchases.

Anyone out there who can advise camera settings to use and or quick guide to photoshop sharpening settings,

Thanks in anticipation.
liningiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:06 PM   #2

I had the same problem when I purchased my 300D, however I stuck with it and tried hard to produce good pics and now with practice I manage to get some really nice shots.

It does seem to be more down to getting used to the camera rather than the camera being at fault. I did lots of tests and realised that I need to pay more attention to real photographic techniques instead of expecting the camera to do all the work.

My Fuji S5000 is always sharp and this does spoil you a bit. The canon however is much better when I get the results I'm looking for. The picture quality has far more detail.

I may be wrong but try some more before giving up on it, use larger Fstops like F8 and above.

I hope you managed to get what you're looking from your new camera.

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 5:54 PM   #3

when shooting in RAW there is no post processing done at all to the image. that is nothing is modified in any from the imager. this being the case. the imager has a AA filter in front of it. this is an anti aliasing filter. this filter is there to remove aliasing or blocky edging you can get due to the way the imager sees what your about to shoot. and improve the color. it does this by essentially blurring or softening the image somewhat. it is a physical device so thats what you get. your choice when shoot and which ever way you shoot is to either post process sharpen when RAW is shotor when shooting jpg either onboard sharpening oe post processing. either way you will most likely need to do post sharpening either by using the unsharp mask in psor other methods available to you from various vendors or your current software.

you have entered a new realm of shooting now. my 1Dmk2 reqs a substantial amt of sharpening due to its rather agressive AA filter. my 1Ds reqd less. my 1Dsmk2 also needs less.

you'll also find that your DOF reqs greater control too. shooting wide open you'll find your DOF is reduced substantially in comparision to your previous P/S type cameras.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:00 PM   #4

I believe the soft out of camera is a part of the canon design philosophy. I can speak for the 10d, but i believe the d30 and d60 were the same; they come out of the camera soft, but sharpen well with USM. This is the right design, considering that artifacts are _really_ hard to lose and a computer operator sharpens better anyway.

My advice is use the autofocus for a while till you get used to what focused looks like on the screen, then find your own way of sharpening them. Most people around here seem to agree that diy is better for this.

(edit) sjms you slammed the edit before i replied.:lol: You are right of course, additionally i would add that reading up on the circle of confusion may help a bit with this. <goes to look up the term>
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:38 PM   #5

gee!!! and i was typing with one hand too.:lol:
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:46 AM   #6

Thanks for your answers. The explanation of the AA filter was particularly helpfull, and I now have the assurance I was seeking that my camera is working correctly. Since posting the question I have taken more care with all thepicture taking aspects and have obtained somevery pleasing results. Noiseless, sharp (after USM) and very smooth.
liningiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 5:35 AM   #7

Hmmm... I was just on my way to start a new topic called "Low-pass filter? IR cutoff?" but I found this already started... I was looking in the 20D manual for camera specifications on the sensor and I come up with a strange "feature": "Low-pass filter: Located in front of the image sensor, non-removable" so... I think too that this is "Mister TooSoftyImages on my 00D" if this low-pass filter is similar to the audio filter. Well, you said about that as an AA filter... it is.
Good or bad, probably this is also a IR cutoff filter... some people complained about "poor" results using 20D with IR.
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:50 AM   #8

Yep, that is another design decision. IR can shift the color spectrum a bit in unpredictable ways(well to us anyway.
Kodak is the only manufacturer that i know of that has a removeable filter of this sort.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 9:47 AM   #9

I recently heard about a company named MAXMAX or something like that, something like a mod company for cameras... They offer IR cutoff filter removal for some cameras but consider voiding the waranty and also the need to actually USE a cutoff IR filter for the normal use. Maybe they can remove the lowpass filter for 20D, I wouldn't try it... (removing it myself) for at least one year on .
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:18 AM   #10

this seems to be a good answer, check out the sample photos

http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/20DCSpro
hauntfreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote