Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 3, 2004, 5:58 AM   #11

Thank you all for the answers. The indicated documents was more than a confirmation.
The quote from the conclusion on "Debunking of Specsmanship" says it all: "The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. -Anon.-"
Reading all that show up things that I missed, not entirely related to ISO... but they are there... dynamic range and signal-to-noise ratio (SNR)... but this is another story...
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:54 AM   #12
NHL

Here's a simple illustration of Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) at the same ISO and EV value:

o Fast shutter speed: Strong light intensity signal 90 part and the camera noise part is a constant 1 -> 90/1 SNR

o Slow shutter speed: Now the light intensity is less so the shutter has to stay on longer to collect the same amount of light for the same ISO/EV. The signal is weaker and let say 30 part, but the camera noise part is still 1 -> 30/1 SNR

Now which setting has relatively more noise content? :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:00 PM   #13

Well it is the shorter shutterlength. Which isn't much of a surprise to those who have used multiminute exposures; But the question is: as you decrease the available light when does the increase in ISO pay off to achieve the higher shutter speed.:?:
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 5:10 AM   #14

I know talking about "banding at highiso-longexposure on 20D" is somehow hated by many, but being related to ISO I wanted also to ask this: Does 10D, 1D, etc. have this banding problem or it's a 20D issue?
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:45 PM   #15
NHL

pauza wrote:
Quote:
I know talking about "banding at highiso-longexposure on 20D" is somehow hated by many, but being related to ISO I wanted also to ask this: Does 10D, 1D, etc. have this banding problem or it's a 20D issue?
Why do you think this is limited to just one camera?
http://www.naturfotograf.com/D70_rev03.html

BTW this phenomenom occurs on underexposed film/slide scans too...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:34 AM   #16

About the ISO banding problem... I hope the fresh new firmware 1.1.0 does what is says... And I hope this will not affect the non-flash ISO 3200 pictures...