Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:50 AM   #1

Hi, I have seen advertised a product that claims The 6.3 megapixel EOS 300D/Digital Rebel is based on the same CMOS sensor and DIGIC microprocessor as the EOS-10D

And with the correct software you can upgrade the Rebels abilities to that of the 10D.

From the Advert you can get:- Enter Flash Exposure Compensation using SET button
* SET button functions when shooting
* Shutter release prevention w/o CF card
* Adjust Flash Sync speed in Av mode
* Change file quality settings with the dial (no more buried menu items)
* Simultaneous RAW+JPEG Recording.
* Ability to adjust the quality of embedded JPEG

* Mirror Lock up
* Select the autofocus mode: AIfocusAF, ONEShot
* Achieve an ISO 3200 setting(as opposed to only ISO 1600)

It's the ISO setting that interests me.

Has anyone seen this or even tried it please and of course thoughts as do or don't.
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:06 PM   #2

The ISO 3200 setting is possible, though it is just the 1600 setting exposed .5 ev and then in camera all the values are double. If you neeed it you can do it yourself. Personally the things that i like about my 10d vs. 300d are the ability to change most things with dials, and the heft/magnesium alloy frame/the blackness of it. I would look around, i believe that one of the remotes will allow the rebel to do mirror lockup. It would be the TC remote i think.
(edit can't find it now <sigh>)
My advice is that if the iso is the only reason you wish to upgrade don't. You can do the same process yourself. That being said the 10d is a great camera.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 7:27 AM   #3

In the past, the price difference between 300D and 10D was about 500$. I think that difference is much smaller now. In my opinion you should buy a 10D. There is more than you enumerated in your message for a 10D starting with the magnesium alloy body. But as far as I see, 10D is somehow retired from the market...
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:43 AM   #4

I believe what you are referring to is the firmware hack that was developed. Go to www.dpreview.com go to the forums and select the 300D. Do a search for the firmware hack and you will see many discussions about the firmware hack. It could void the warranty.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:52 PM   #5

Russell,

The Digital Rebel already records simultaneous RAW+ JPEG without the hack. The hack allows you to change the JPEG setting to a lower settingthat gets you a few extra pics per card.

The biggest gain with the hack to me was the addition of Flash Exposure Compensation. ISO 3200 is also very nice, but being able to manually vary the amount of the flash output, be it the on-board unit or separately mounted unit, is a big deal.

If you are not familiar with flash exposure compensation you need to use it if you do indeed download the hack to your camera. It can make a big difference in your flash shots if you utilize it correctly.

I have since bought the 10D so the Digital Rebel is now my backup or travel-light camera. The 10D is substantially heavier than the Rebel, but it also gives you access to everything the Rebel does not without installing the hack. Image quality to me between the twois equal. If anything the Digital Rebel focusses faster and in slightly lower light levels. The Digital Rebel was introduced several months after the 10D so I am sure some internal processing was updated to make those features a little better.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:33 PM   #6
Administrator

Some vendors are selling this hack now (which is why you probably saw it advertised as a product). Not too long ago, an Ebay vendor was offering it (which generated a lot of controversy on some forums, since many believe that the way it's being sold is unscrupulous).

It's the samefirmware that many other Digital Rebel users have installed, hacked by a Russian that goes by the name Wasia, and you can download it for free.

It's so popular, that even PC Magazine wrote a short article on it:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1667135,00.asp

But, as gibsonpd3620 mentioned, it could void your warranty.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 6:42 PM   #7

it could void the warranty, but in practice is not likely to, there have been a number of instances of Wasia 300Ds being sent in for servicing without comment by Canon. Remember it is also a very simple procedure to change the firmware back to original Canon. If the camera is dead, it really makes no difference what firmware is on. I would never revert back to standard Canon firmware, not until the day I sell/trade in my 300D in the future.
Dave111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:22 PM   #8

I think the warranty trouble would be if the firmware damaged the camera. I haven't, nor would i. But considering that i don't own a reb, there is little opportunity.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:34 AM   #9

I tried the russian firmware hack, most of the features worked without fault. Very useful indeed, only reason I reverted back to canons is I have 3 years warranty on the camera and don't want to void that if I have to send it for repair. Once my warranty is up I will be reinstalling this hack for sure.

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 3:26 PM   #10

Thanks for the input, I think I'll stick with what I've got (The Rebel) yea a Rebel owner in the UK. cost a lot less when I purchased it from the states.

Maybe the wife will buy me a 10D for xmas.

Then again maybe she'll wake me up to stop me dreaming.

russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote