Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:02 PM   #1

I have several Maxxum/Tamron auto lenses that are for a Minolta Maxxum 600si, including a 200-400mm Tamron Zoom. Any one know if these lenses can be refitted with a DRebel mount? Practicallity is esential, especially cost. Thanks Jim
ejameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:34 PM   #2

No, it is not possible. Even if it was, you would not have autofocus or be able to focus at infinity. I was in the same situation and I asked one of the guys at Adorama if it was possible.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:53 PM   #3

Thanks Rob. Now I can concentrate on eBaying my Minolta stuff--the last of my film cameras.:sad::-):-):-)
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:26 PM   #4
NHL

ejameson wrote:
Quote:
I have several Maxxum/Tamron auto lenses that are for a Minolta Maxxum 600si, including a 200-400mm Tamron Zoom... Practicallity is esential, especially cost.
What about the Minolta 7D? :idea:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...57&forum_id=84

This camera has the 'Anti-Shake' built-in to the body, so all your old lenses will be IS enabled and the 7D's noise is comparable to the new 20D! :-) :-) :-)

Your 200-400 with comparable 'IS' over Canon will cost you over $1k alone
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:34 PM   #5

Thanks. I will have a DRebel delivered on Tuesday. :-):-)I had considered the Minolta 7D, but initial costs held that idea up. I have will have a DRebel body w/the kit lens plus a Canon 28-135mm with Image Stab. All for just under $1150, new. So now to sell the Minolta lenses. From what you say these lenses that worked with the 600si should work with the 7D. They may not be as useful as some of the newer lenses, desigined for digital cameras, but someone will want them, and I hope will enjoy them. Thanks again, Jim
Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:57 AM   #6
NHL

ejameson wrote:
Quote:
I had considered the Minolta 7D, but initial costs held that idea up...
Yeap initial cost is higher! :-)

... but remember you're comparing apple and oranges:
1 - The 7D is more advanced and more like a 10D/20D than a DRebel
2 - You're still only @ 135mm vs 400mm that you had (and the EF-28-135 is not a 'digital' lens)
3 - By the time you end up with the 400mm IS, it'll going to be double the initial cost
4 - The wide angle has no IS which IMO is more useful for still shots like sunset/sunrise or dark indoor sculptures
5 - What happen when you 'grow' into a full-frame in the future - Buy non-digital lenses? :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote