Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:22 PM   #1

Hey Guys!

It's been a long time since I've posted, and it's good to be back. I've upgraded from a D60 to a 10D Mark II, and I was wondering if there was a way to capture images in B&W? I remember asking about this with the D60, and the only way to do it was post processing via Photoshop (or similar) filter. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Norm
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:24 PM   #2

Sorry Norm, same deal with the 10D.
Ted
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:05 AM   #3

10D Mark II?????
Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:57 AM   #4

norm....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"converting on the pc, is much higher quality, and let's you have control over the tonal range...instead of just throwing out the colors.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"keep shooting

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:25 AM   #5

I agree with Vito - You are much better off doing the conversion to B&W in a n image editor. It allows far more control over the image and the results are always better. A B&W straight from the camera would just be throwing away usefull image information.

I don't think there is such a thing as a 10D Mark II either, there has just been the one version release. Perhaps you are getting the model numbers confused with the 1D Mark II or the 1Ds Mark II
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:33 AM   #6

it works well and gives you lots of control for the $

http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/BW

[align=left]This workflow is not like any other plugin available. There are tons of options, features, and endless possibilities for creating your masterpiece. In addition to manual modes, and custom tweak options, I have packed this plugin full of carefully designed preset options to help you get the best image quality out of your files. You have 8 preset filter selections, 32 duotone presets, 18 tritone presets, 6 quadtone presets, 3 film grain presets and 4 dynamic range presets. Everything you do, can be easily previewed as you work on your image. High quality B&W has never been easier to achieve. Let the BW workflow Pro give you the control you need to get the best B&W look from your image. [/align]
[align=left]Full description and samples
[/align]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:48 PM   #7

If you end up wanting to print your black & white images, be a little careful. It can be hard to get good B&W out of a color printer. It can be done, but you'll have to fight some color cast issues until you learn how to do it.

Another option (which some like and some hate) is to get special inks that are basically a set of black-grey-white inks that let you print B&W directly.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:19 PM   #8

norm911 wrote:
Quote:
I've upgraded from a D60 to a 10D Mark II,
Er, what is a 10D Mark II? Did I miss something here?

ken from the uk
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 3:03 PM   #9

:-)maybe the 10DMKII is the 20D ?

20Ddoes have a rather odd B&W mode, which basically throws out all the color bits. Much better control if you take a normal color pic and convert to B&W in photoshop.

Wow I'm up to 910 posts, I'm catching up on Vito :lol:NoT!:blah:

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:36 PM   #10

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
:-) maybe the 10DMKII is the 20D ?

20D does have a rather odd B&W mode, which basically throws out all the color bits. Much better control if you take a normal color pic and convert to B&W in photoshop.
For jpegs yep, but i have wanted a b&w mode for raw for some time. I think it would just help me see and remember that i wanted it b&w:G
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote