Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:11 PM   #1

I am selling my 10D and replacing it with the 20D.
I am gathering together everything that came with my 10D and I can't find the CD that holds the File Viewer and all those others programs. I have found the photoshop elements 2 cd, so that is good.

Is it possible to download newer versions of the EOS Viewer Utility, EOS Capture, PhotoStitch,... and use them without having the CD?

I guess another idea is to copy the CD that came with the 20D. Does anyone know if the view viewer and such on that CD will work with the 10D?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:23 PM   #2

Eric,

Congratulations!!?? on your decision to go with the 20D.

I still have my 10D and most of the raw files that I took with it. I tried the new software (most of it just replaced the old copies from before) on my 10D files and it all works fine. The person doing the update without the old software might have problems because the installation software checks for older versions of the software. The only ting the person won't have with the software that came with the 20D is the WIA driver for the 10D. They can go to the Canon download site and get that.

Initially you will beboth disappointed and impressed with the 20D compared to the 10D. At first I didn't like the feel as much as I did the feel of the 10D. Now the opposite is true.Now I have the following impressions:

Response time:

much better than the 10D more like a film camera. Turn it on and shoot. Once you master using the joystick to manually select the focal points, you'll really appreciate how close this camera is to the professional models.

Successful moving targets and initial focus rate:

about 2-3 times better than the 10D. If you're shooting children or moving subjects, you'll see a big difference.

Enlargements:

I have some 24 x 36 images processed by RITZ (all jpegs not original raw converted to jpeg) that are very close in quality to the same 8.5 x 11 photos. I heard some die hard film folks at the shop talking about making the switch.

Flash:

250v verses 6v tolerance. What this means is that this camera will work just like the film cameras you don't need the protection device on the hotshoe. I still use mine anyway.

Since you seem to be very thourough in your approach to photography. I thinkyou will really like the differences between the 2 cameras.If you get a good camera. Mine has banding when using the highest ISO settings (1600/3200). I tried the latest update and it still happens. Happy shooting!

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:14 AM   #3

It looks like the 20D doesn't come with a few pieces of software that the 10D did.
ZoomBrowser, FileViewerUtility, CameraWindow (probably more.)

FileViewer was replaced by EOSViewer, so no real loss there. ZoomBrowser has been replaced by DPP, I guess. But no CameraWindow? Sure, it wasn't the best download program but it worked. How do they expect us to organize things now? I really don't want to have to go buy Downloader Pro (even if BreezeSoftware makes good stuff and I've heard nothing but good things about it.) Why should I *have* to buy something to do what I got for free with the 10D? Am I missing something?

The better AF and tracking of subjects is exactly why I purchased it. I shoot moving wild animals all the time.

I hope I can live with the limited buffer in RAW mode. They obviously crippled the product so it wouldn't complete with the 1D MkII. What a truly anti-customer thing to do. I would have purchsed this months ago if it had a 9-picture RAW buffer.

Eric
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:51 AM   #4

Wow I got lucky.
I cleaned my desk, my cd cases, my office, my laptop bag... no sign of the CD.

I have some annoying trouble because if I attach my camera to the computer via the USB cable I can see the jpg image I took, but I can't see the RAW image I took. The image is there, but it isn't visible when I browse the CF card via the camera.

My USB CF reader is a cheeze jumpshot reader, so it doesn't work with my new 80x lexar card. So I get a brilliant idea, I'll see if my CF to PC Card can read it. And I fire up my laptop and look (for the 2nd time tonight) in the cd jewel case that holds my Win98 CD... and there, stuck in the cover of the case is the EOS Solutions CD for the 10D. Ahhh... I can breath easier. And my laptop can see the RAW and JPG files.

So I'm happy, if not perfect. On Thursday I can use the 20D to shoot Short Eared Owls and Northern Shrike (and maybe a Snowy owl if I'm lucky) and I can get the RAW files into my computer via my laptop until I get the time to research and buy a good CF reader. And since transfering through the laptop will be really annoying I'll probably go buy one on Friday.

I'm still annoyed that they removed the downloading utility (CameraWindow.) Am I missing something, or is this functionality gone?

Eric
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:00 AM   #5

lol, i'm annoyed from my latest experience with zoombrowser and camera window...(won't download my images from my new 300D)

i would think DPP would download the images...or EOS viewer...

i have a hard time believing they would leave you without something to download with...let alone encourage buying someone elses software!

btw...congratulations on getting the 20D!

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:22 AM   #6

You East Coast guys DO have your problems !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:48 AM   #7

Eric,

The fileview is supposed to allow you to view the raw images. I'm having trouble using it right now. I could have sworn I was able to download raw images using it when I first got the camera. Since I'm on release 1.1 of the firmware, I can't be sure if something's changed. I'm really disappointed with the number of fixes and other issues I've had with this camera compared to the 10D. Overall it's an improvement but there are quality issues that I didn't have with the 10D.

I tried the Digital Professional program, but it doesn't allow you to download images unless you are actually takingphotos. One of my problems maybe that I haveall the earlier program installed for the 10D. Sorry Seitprime, this mid-western boy has problems too.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote