Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:26 PM   #1
smd

Hi all,

I hope someone has a quick answer to this, but I am not very optimistic. Tonight, by DRebel was working fine. I was going to take some portrait shots of a friend later so I was getting some settings ready. Once I got there, I had it on for about a minute then.....all of a sudden...it just went off. Just as if I had turned it off. Battery was fine, I even tried 2 other fully charged batteries, the camera will not power up. This is horrible timing, going into Christmas season without my camera.

Has this happened to anyone else? This may sound stupid, but is there any type of fuse or even a reset button? I guess I just want to think of the Canon repair center a s a last resort.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Sam D.
smd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2004, 5:28 AM   #2

You may try removing the lens but don't forget to put the body cap on. Power on, off, then remove the battery, wait, insert it then try again still without the lens. It should start now. Try eventually with other lenses, you don't receive always err 01... Someone I know had a similar problem, too much water from the rain... lens out.
But...
Can you confirm that you entered a warm room from a chilly outside? If so, you may go to Canon. Sorry, but this was caused by condensation. You should at least wait some time before operate the camera in such conditions... there are camera bags that prevent this but you still have to wait for the camera to achieve the room temperature.
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:49 AM   #3
smd

Pauza,

Thanks for the reply, but that did not work. None of the conditiond that you described were the case here. No weather changes, no water , nothing. I am stumped. I tried reseating the CF card and just about anything else you can think of.

Before I call Canon.....anyone else have an idea?

Sam D.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:52 AM   #4

Pauza's answer sounds exactly right.

Is this a "new" rebel (within the last couple months)?

There have been reports of all kinds of malfunctions with the newer issues of the 300D.

Most are electrical/lens related.

TryPauza's method and please let us know your experience.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 4:21 PM   #5

There is a second battery in the camera that retains the settings. You might want to remove it and leave it out overnight.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:23 PM   #6
smd

UPDATE:

Thanks for all of the advice guys, but nothing worked. I packaged it up and sent it to Canon. I shipped it on 12/11 and it arrived on my doorstep today (12/22). 11 days is not too bad considering it is holiday season. I was very happy to see that Canon Overnight FedEx'ed it to me and I'll have it for Christmas & New Years photos!

As a side note:

The repair slip said that they replaced the PCBASSY DC/DC..........does anyone know what this means? It was covered under warranty.

Another side note, I have the firmware hack installed and it came back to me just like it was when it left.....with the firmware hack. All costs were covered under warranty. I don't know if they missed it or simply didn't care, but this is a CONFIRMED warranty repair with the upgraded firmware. Just thought some of you may find that interesting!

Thanks!

SMD

Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:31 PM   #7
NHL

smd wrote:
Quote:
The repair slip said that they replaced the PCBASSY DC/DC..........does anyone know what this means?
PC Board Assembly DC/DC converter -> Circuit card for the power supply section which converts the 7.4V battery to the various other DC voltages required by the camera
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote