Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:28 PM   #1

i'm testing to see if this picture will show up ok on the site, most of my pics are too big and exceed the file attachment size limit.
Attached Images

MRmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:30 PM   #2

this image was cropped from a larger one...
Attached Images

Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:35 PM   #3

here's a picture i've cropped so it will fit on the site, the file size limit is putin a hamper on images i can post cuz the 8.2 MP high res pic's are huge...
Attached Images

Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:55 PM   #4

I was able to see all three images.

The other reason to keep your images small is that not everyone is on a high-speed connection (yes, I am, but I know others who are not.) So if you actually want people to view your images you should keep them around 100K or so. With jpg compression and resizing so it fits the average screen size (1000 pixels wide or 700 high) it isn't that hard to get around that size.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:15 PM   #5

ya i know what you're saying, it's harder for me to understand the differences though since i'm working on a dsl connection and high resolution widescreen monitor.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:30 PM   #6

I drive my monitor at 1280x1024, so I can fully understand. But its reality... if you want people to see your images, forcing them to scroll left/right or up/down to see it will mean they won't get the full impact. And making them wait will drive some people away.

You do actually want people to view your images, don't you?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:43 PM   #7

of course, i'm not saying i don't. please don't misunderstand me, i was just pointing it out, i'm new to the board so i didn't know about the size restrictions. i have no problem with scaling the images down, just commenting.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:00 AM   #8

Ya, I agree with Eric, don't crop, resize the image to about 800*600 and save a new file at jpg compression 7 (in photoshop). I find this fits on most peoples screens and the files fit into the site upload limit.
I'm also on a 5mb dsl, but there are people on the forums who are on dialup. HighSpeed is not available everywhere yet :sad:

(I am also using a 20D)

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:40 PM   #9

MRmike wrote:
Quote:
here's a picture i've cropped so it will fit on the site, the file size limit is putin a hamper on images i can post cuz the 8.2 MP high res pic's are huge...
Why not post a "thumbnail" with a link to the full size image which you host somewhere else?

If people are interested in the image they will click on the link to see the full res version.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:31 PM   #10

Usually i go with 600 wide for landscape oriented pieces, and 500 tall for portait oriented work. Should fit pretty much everybody's monitors these days.

It tends to be hard for me to comment on pieces that don't fit on my screen without scrolling.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote