Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 10, 2004, 4:01 AM   #1

Hello all,

I was wondering what you thought about Sigma Lenses?? I was looking at either a 26/70 2.8 EX DG or a 28/70 2.8 EX DG. I wanted to know if anyone here has good or badd to say about Sigma. Making sure i don't buy something i'll regret(even though i could send it back). Thanks all and have a great holiday!
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2004, 5:49 AM   #2

It all depends on the lenses you are thinking of purchasing. A lot of peopleagree that some of the Sigma lenses are better then their Canon equivalent (andcost less)while other Sigma lenses can't hope to match Canons glass.

Some on these boards choose not to buy Sigma at all because some of their lenses have compatability issues with Canon camera bodies. This is true, but only with Sigmas older lenses, any of the new "EX" Sigma models should be completely compatable.

This is also true for Tamron and Tokina lenses too, you know. Sometimes they might also be a better choice then whatCanons offers. You'll just have to hunt around, compare pics, read user reviews and if youget the chance try the lenses out in person.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2004, 7:46 AM   #3
NHL

The EX from Sigma are their professional series (much like 'L' on Canon). Theses all metal lenses are excellent and should be differentiated from their regular line which compete on cost where some sacrifice are made to achieve a price point... this is no different than lesser Canon lenses

If you look at the Sigma EX macro, they are second to none with their excellent 50mm actually costing more than Canon, and in the 100-300 range they have two excellent zooms which fill the gap in both Canon and Nikon lines: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2004, 7:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I'm going to order one here in the next week. I just wasn't sure about going to another brand lense. I do have a couple non Canon lenses but they are dust collector's since i bought 2 new Canon's. The thing for me is they aren't fast enough. One is a 3.5/4.5 and the other is a 4.5/5.6. So i figured getting a 2.8 would be a step forward, just the price of Canon is too much at this time.
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 1:26 PM   #5

Ihave a Sigma 12-24 EX which is superb. I also have the 18-125 which is a bit "coarse" at full zoom. I've just got it back from repair and am waiting for a nice day to do some proper tests.

I also have 2 canon lenses - the 18-55 and the 28-135 IS - both produce good results.
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 1:59 PM   #6

Strange timing. I just bought the Sigma 50mm macro (2.8) I HATE these icons !!!
However it is a Christmas present for my wife who loves flowers+ insects. Now we will have to wait til the end of the month for a report.
Quick impression at the camera store (local) and the experienced viewpoint of the salesman has me believing I made the right choice. Also Fred Mirandas reviews bear this out.

I have had excellent results from 2nd party lenses before. The Tokina 24/200 axf is a favorite.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 5:22 PM   #7

Like the other lens manufacturers (yes, including Canon and Nikon), Sigma produces some great stuff and some not-so-great stuff. As NHL mentioned, the key seems to be getting the EX series from Sigma. At least among some Nikon people (probably the same with some Canon people) there is an "anything third party is cheap crap" misconception, probably formed based on bad examples.
One thing I don't care about with Sigma is how close the names are, and how widely varied the performance can be of lenses with very similar names. Take the various Sigma 70-300 lenses, for example. The APO Macro Super Zoom II version gets a lot of praise, but the DL (non-APO) and the APO non-II versions get panned. I believe Sigma recently came with a new 24-70 2.8 lens which gets high marks, but it has nearly the same name as a previous version which gets low marks.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:16 PM   #8

I am one of the people that definitely agrees with Sigma's lenses being good quality. I have owned or used the: 105mm EX macro, 50mm EX macro, 24-60 f2.8 EX, 28-70 f2.8 EX, 80-400 EX OS, and 70-300 DL Macro Super.

The only lens I have been disappointed with was the non-EX. Sigma makes some really awesome gear, and most times at quite a price difference between them and the brand names.

As I will always caution anyone looking for equipment... Try it first if you can.

Try not to get too caught up in the gear... It is the end result that matters most!

David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:25 PM   #9

NHL wrote:
Quote:
The EX from Sigma are their professional series (much like 'L' on Canon). Theses all metal lenses are excellent and should be differentiated from their regular line which compete on cost where some sacrifice are made to achieve a price point... this is no different than lesser Canon lenses

If you look at the Sigma EX macro, they are second to none with their excellent 50mm actually costing more than Canon, and in the 100-300 range they have two excellent zooms which fill the gap in both Canon and Nikon lines: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

i think you should look again at the EX lenses theres is a lot more polymer then metal then you think. this accounts for their light weight. even my 17-40 L has quite a bit of plastic there too now

i agree on their macro lenses. been debating the 105 or 180.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:50 PM   #10
NHL

sjms wrote:
Quote:
i think you should look again at the EX lenses theres is a lot more polymer then metal then you think. this accounts for their light weight.
They could use some polymer in my 120-300 f/2.8 EX... It weights like 6lb! :-) :-) :-)

Quote:
i agree on their macro lenses. been debating the 105 or 180.
Have you look @ their just released 150mm f/2.8 EX... (It's their only macro with USM) and lighter than the 180mm
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/Html/pages/150dg.htm

murphyc wrote:
Quote:
I believe Sigma recently came with a new 24-70 2.8 lens which gets high marks, but it has nearly the same name as a previous version which gets low marks.
FYI http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/24_70_test
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote