Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:22 PM   #1

I have had my Canon only a few days and already I came across the Olympus EVOLT on the web. For only $1000, it looks as good as my D20 and mentions that the limitted lenses offered have better sharpness than utilizing a tradional lens designed for film slr's. What do you guys think of this camera? I probably could have saved $600 and been just as happy by the looks of it.

Jasper666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:54 PM   #2

You are going to be "coming across" a lot more cameras in the near future. If money is your driving force then you are NEVER going to enjoy the photographic experience to its fullest.

The prime reason you see certain cameras/manufacturers discussed is quite simple. The Canon 300D (rebel), 10Dand now the Canon 20D are all cameras of a proven methodology thatis providing buyers with key components that work.
The same holds true for Nikon.

A fine old name in film cameras (Minolta) has regrouped and has an interesting offering in their newest DSLR. Konica/Minoltais offering a new approach in not only camera design but constuction as well.

Good luck in finding the "perfect" camera - at any price !

Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 2:01 PM   #3
NHL

Jasper666 wrote:
Quote:
For only $1000, it looks as good as my D20 and mentions that the limitted lenses offered have better sharpness than utilizing a tradional lens designed for film slr's. What do you guys think of this camera? I probably could have saved $600 and been just as happy by the looks of it.
It's not really the same:
1. EF-s lenses or Di (Tamron), and DG (Sigma) are also specially lenses designed for cropped 'digital' dSLRs... ie much more choices in Canon mounts
2. No Zuiko lens has ultrasonic (silent, fast and full-time manual overide)
3. No wireless flash systems (or multi-head TTL metering)
4. Aspect ratio is 4:3 not 3:2

... You are buying into a lens systems and not the camera! ie what's the upgrade path: an E1? :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:01 PM   #4

Both are excellent points. I should just enjoy the photography. Technology advances too quickly to judge which is better and for what cost. I have not had a chance to fully test my 20D yet. I'm sure once I do so, it will put to rest any uncertainty. I am still after that 70-200 F2.8 lens.
Jasper666 is offline   Reply With Quote