Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:16 AM   #11

f22
Attached Images

dcl2q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:17 AM   #12

f32
Attached Images

Old Dec 16, 2004, 6:56 PM   #13

So how do people get these tack sharp macros of insects and other things taken with a very large depth of field? Is it all done post processing?

Thanx,

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:05 AM   #14

Am I a thread killer or what??? This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've posted on a topic only to have my post be the last. :O

Ron

PS: can anybody answer my question?
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:29 AM   #15

Hey, don't get too pesimestic there. The forums have been having troubles. I only saw your post today.

Well, first off we're going to have to assume you use proper technique to take all those pictures. In other words, we'll assume that an outside source didn't cause some of the difference. Since you got the results I'd expect, that is probably a fair assumption. Testing lenses is not easy.

Did you do any post processing to those shots? One thing is that you could sharpen up that last one and increase the contrast in an editor. Sure, it isn't as good as the others, but it isn't fatally flawed.

The other thing is that good macro requires LOTS of light. This helps you use something smaller than f32 (DOF being ignored.) Ring lights help a lot.

No one said that macro was easy. And this is just one of the problems that you have. I don't know if the lower focal length lenses have less of this problem or not. Its possible (fewer lens elements might help them control contrast, for example.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:56 AM   #16

Sorry I didn't get back on this sooner. The whole purpose of this thread is not bash lenses, cameras or other equipment. It is more an attempt to pass on what I have been reading about.

The above shots were taken with a 20D and the EF 180L macro lens that a friend bought last weekend. He noticed a softening of his images and did this quick test. I am not sure how he post processed his raw images, but I am sure each image was treated the same.

The whold point here is that even though Photography is an ART, we are all dealing with science and technology. If we want to eek the best we can out of our Technological Tools, which allow this art to exist, we best understand our tools and the limitations that the technology and the laws of physics impose on us.

I love my 20D, but by now having a better understanding of my tools, I can optimize my results up front.

I too wonder how some shots at f32 and f36 etc come out so sharp looking, but remember different tools have different limitations. And most of the shots posted on the webare not max resolution. Presentation has alot to do with overallquality.

The D30 will produce a sharper image at f22 than a 20D, albiet with less resolution due to fewer pixels. There are also post processing tools which allow multiple images taken at multiple focus depths to be combined to produce great DOF.

The trick is knowing your limitations. Read the stuff suggested above, and use the knowlege gained the way it best suits you.

Happy shooting