Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:59 PM   #1

I'm not a pro but I take house shots including interior rooms for the wife in real estate. I use a 16-35 f2.8L lens at 16 (20.8with mag factor). I used to shoot without flash at high ISO and adjust ceiling wall exposure in photoshop using levels and history brush. That is too time consuming and less than desireable results. I have tried using a 580ex oncamera with the wide angle diffuser (built-in) but the far end of the rooms do not get sufficient light and I'm back to photoshop. I don't have the time to set up studio lighting for each room...I have maybe a half hour to shoot 5-6 rooms. I am considering getting another 580ex asslave unit for the far end of the room at some yet to be determined flash ratio. Does this sound like a viable way to go or are there better solutions that I should consider? Is there anything else I should be aware of in attempting this?

thanks in advance
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:03 AM   #2
NHL

You might want to look at the Sigma EF-500DG super... You can actually buy two of theses units for the price of another 580EX and do a fill at 'both' ends, or offer more flexibility for some highlights

Quote:
I don't have the time to set up studio lighting for each room...I have maybe a half hour to shoot 5-6 rooms.
They'll work just like other E-TTL wireless slaves and you'll be able to perform ratio just fine by assigning them to different groups...
The camera will do all the computing
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:37 AM   #3

Flood wrote:
Quote:
I'm not a pro but I take house shots including interior rooms for the wife in real estate. I use a 16-35 f2.8L lens at 16 (20.8with mag factor).

Wow, I wish I could "not be a pro" but still afford a 1D Mark-II, wide angle L glass,and expensive Canon flashes for real estate shots

:lol:

~kjk

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:46 AM   #4

I believe small "flash" tripods are made to help you setup wireless slave flashes. I think (this is my bad memory here) they make them either with clamps or little 3-leg tripods. You might consider looking into those, as they'll let you setup two flashes much faster and easier.

Also, why did you get the 1d Mk2? Cost? The 1Ds or 1Ds MkII is really made for this purpose.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:16 AM   #5
NHL

All theses external flashes come with their own 'mini-stand' that one can slide under their hot-shoes (they are even socketed for 1/4" thread)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:26 AM   #6

Thanks to all, advice much appreciated. I didn't get the 1Ds because it is a fortune and I already emptied the bank on what I got.......but it's my only bad habit at my age! :-)
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote