Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 20, 2004, 4:16 AM   #1

There is a battery estimation indicator on almost every electronic gadgets... but with a 450$ flash like 580EX I might go out energy dry... why?
Is there one around that I missed? Or the indicator is the big-upper-glowy-thing stop working?:-)
Ok, ok, have a battery pack always with you... I know, I know...

Good thing 20D have a... let's say... capable built-in flash.
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:59 AM   #2

nope no battery status at all. come to think of it my 550ex didn't nor does my nikon sb-25.

you'll know when its going down by how long it takes to recycle. that strobe cycles pretty darn quick too.the basic premis of the guage is best for constant discharge devices like the camera itself. a strobe or flash as some call them will use widely varying amounts of power on a per shot basis. up close it uses little and sips the batteries and then when your at its limit and you put out the light at max it will hit your batteries like a vampire after a hunger strike. so depending on the distance you shoot you might get 500 shots down to only 100 or so.

just have spare ready or a HV power pack for it.

my external pack will supply in excess of900 full power bursts and decrease recycle time to about 1.75 between them. the caveat is you must be aware of the temp of the head so you do not smoke it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 5:00 PM   #3

call me crazy but i bring about 24 fully recharged batteries when i shoot. Many times i would switch them out after 50-100 flashes to maintain a fast recycle time.
WesleyWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 7:42 PM   #4

yep, your right thats pushing the limits just a bit. put out for a battery pack and you'll be much happier:G
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 5:53 AM   #5

I think WesleyWong is one of those 1K wedding pictures guy...
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote