Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:21 PM   #1

I'm interested in buying a 300d but I noticed that canon started to sell it on 2003... you think that there will be an upgrade (es. 400d) in the beginning of 2005 (first 3 mounth)... excuse my english... i'm italian! Bye
thesethnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2004, 4:20 PM   #2

Anything is possible, but Canon just released their 20D model. The 20D was designed to replace the 10D. They may not want to release a replacement for the 300d because it may take away from the sales of the 20D. You English is better than my Italian.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:13 PM   #3

So I'm waiting for an italian reply, to test your italian.... looking on steve's sample photo I noticed that quality of 300d at 100 iso is better than 20d... why?... I found here in italy a Canon Eos 300d Black (with Italian Warranty) + 18-55 (shit) and the battery pack e1 at a very good price... do you think I should by it with a Sigma 17(or 18... i don't remember)-55 f. 2,8... or an eos 20d with the 18-55 (Shit)... thank you 4 the (italian) answer... byez
thesethnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:57 PM   #4

Quote:
I'm interested in buying a 300d but I noticed that canon started to sell it on 2003... you think that there will be an upgrade (es. 400d) in the beginning of 2005 (first 3 mounth)... excuse my english... i'm italian! Bye
Yep. The 300D is due for a replacement upgrade. The 20D showed what Canon can do in performance near the entry point. The 300D already showed what Canon can do in performance at the entry point cost, derived from the higher-priced 10D. The 300D, despite selling very well, IMO is inferior to the competitive Nikon D70. Speed, flash, and perhaps focusing performance come to mind. Canon has improved on all these fronts with the 20D, and would do well to put those improvements in the hands of its users at the entry point. These will lead to better images in general. Yes, you can get great images without these improvements for manual control, but for the vast majority, including pros sometimes, better automation -> better pictures.

I don't know why it's taken Canon so long to release the replacement. Perhaps they shot for the 8MP lower-cost chip and it took them some time to do so. I for one will not buy or recommend an entry-level DSLR until a couple of monthsinto 2005, where, around PMA in February, a bunch of new cameras and probably Canon's 300D replacement is expected.

Someone in another thread here mentioned that he got word from a sales rep that Canon has started educating them about the replacement. Someone else, generally reliable for Canon leaks, said that there would be "incremental improvements" in early 2005 in the 300D replacement, a few months ago. I'm not sure what that means. I do have a firm opinion however that even without resolution upgrades, flash, focusing, and speed improvments would be very welcome.

Another path, that Steve's hinted at, is a lower price point. Tough call on that one. Of course, we all (and many especially so) want DSLR's to be cheaper. But if the lower cost came without performance improvements, I'd say get the Nikon instead.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:34 AM   #5

Did you also consider a secondhand 10D?
If you buy from trustworthy source (shop / felow Italian photo newsgroup member) you might get a good camera for the price of D300.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:28 PM   #6

There probably will be a new upgrade with a Digital Rebel in 2005. I don't think it will be a 8mega-pixel. I think they might use the same sensor as the G6, just a thought!!
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:43 PM   #7

if they used the G6's sensor, the crop factor would be much more, and the advantage of the SLRs in noise would be taken away...

i could see it doing the same thing with the 20Das the 300D did with the 10D...

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:18 AM   #8

If not the same sensor as the G6 but using 7.1 mega-pixels instead of 8. Probably with the thought of the replacement in the future of the 20D being either a 9 or 10Mega-pixel. Then i see it slowing down with the mega-pixel gain and focus(no pun) on other features that could be explored. I also think with the lower cost DSLR's it's a learning curve just like the first 35mm SLR's were. Your seeing P&S cameras getting the royal treatment with adding more Optical focus range to further there demand for the average consumer. To get really close 35mm or even large format you have to spend the big bucks and buy a EOS-1 series model. Maybe camera companies like Canon will see an advantage to progress the Digital Rebel series as well the D series(ie 10D,20D) to the point where the EOS-1 series is now. With the EOS-1Ds mark 2 being 16.3 mega-pixels Canon is pushing old tech with their sensors, getting all they can before the next level of Digital Photography. We as consumers are probably pushing this new form to fast for the camera makers to really make something that will make our eyes go :O. This is after all the end of 2004 and going to 2005. Let us not rush things but embrace what we have now!!!
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote