Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:34 PM   #11

How does the 420 EX work normally, not counting dimly lit night clubs, but average home or flourescent lightings and outdoors as fill flash? I got a 20D for Xmas.

digidiva
Attached Images

Digidiva100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 4:08 PM   #12

Looks like the Stofen question has already been answered.... It does just what others have said, it reduces the light so that it is not so bright. I also need it to reduce harsh shadows caused by direct flash. Some will say bounce the light off the ceiling, but I get mixed results when doing this. Sometimes when in a large building like church, or auditorium the ceilings are too high.
Quote:
How does the 420 EX work normally, not counting dimly lit night clubs, but average home or flourescent lightings and outdoors as fill flash? I got a 20D for Xmas.
Personally, I did not like the 420EX flash very much on my 300D. It may work better for you on your 20D because you have FEC in your camera and the 300D does not. However, it is a fully automatic only flash as such I would recommend gettign the Canon 580EX which enables some speacial features with the 20D. If that is too steep for your budget, others highly recommend the Sigma 500DG Super.

I went with the 580EX because it has he ability to add an external power pack for only 149 which is cheap compared to Quantum packs. Now even on my 300D I never miss a shot because flash was not ready. I can shoot continous and flash keeps up no problem. However, I can't say whether it would keep up with the speed ot the 20D's 24 shot burst @ 5 fps but it should.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:57 AM   #13

Thanks for your reply. Santa gave me a piece of paper for Xmas this morning. It said "order that Canon flash you wanted" which was the 580, oh happy day!!

Digidiva
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:12 AM   #14

I am sure some will disagree, but I think the Canon 20D with the 580EX flash is an unbeatable combonation. There is one feature I am eager to test out, the 580EX can compensate for the 1.6 magnification factor caused by the sensor being smaller than that of a 35mm. However, I heard this only works with certain lens but I am not sure which? Keep us posted on which lens this feature works with. I already have the flash and I am loking to upgrade my lenses before I actually get the 20D.

PS

looks like you had a merry christmas, congratulations. I can't wait to get a 20D and 580 combo.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 4:09 PM   #15

I got the 20D with the 17 - 85 IS lens and the 75 - 300 since I like to shoot wildlife. Can't afford the really nice$2000 lenses! B & H has the latter for a little over 400!

My pre-20D photos can be found at www.southern-exposures.net

Afew 20D first shots are temporarily at pbase.com/jhowle

Digidiva

Old Dec 26, 2004, 3:00 AM   #16

Quote:
My pre-20D photos can be found at http://www.southern-exposures.net
What a lovely sight. You were taking Great pictures even before getting the 20D...

What kind of lenses where you using before you got your 20D?

Here is a shot of my niece on Christmas Day

shot with Drebel with 18-55 kit ISO100, F5.0, 1/60, 38MM, 580EX flash bounced.
Attached Images

Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:11 AM   #17

I was using a Sony F717 for most of them, I had it for 2 years before getting the 20D.

I took some indoor pix yesterday with and w/o flash with mixed results. I should have had the ISO on 1600 the whole time. Not many are really sharp but they don't look too bad sized for the web. Can't wait to get the 580 and use bounce flash. Your photo looks way better than most of mine! Here is one I took that isn't too bad.

Digidiva

Attached Images

Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:51 AM   #18

I vary rarely take my camera off ISO 100. I know people are saying the DSLR's can handle higher ISO, but at what cost? I can definately see the noise caused by high ISO in photos and would definately prefer either a flash, or faster lenses. I use my little 50 1.8 for low light situation no flash, there real cheap like $70.00.

I have determined that the 20D alone is not going to get me the type of photos I am looking for so I have decided to purcahse a 15-40 F4L and the 70-200 F4L and maybe a ELAN 7n film camera. I don't really need 2.8L because I use flash or studio strobes almost always. I think you will eventually run into the same desire to get L-series lens to compliment 20D.

PS

You will also love the 580EX flash. It has a nice even lighting espeacially when bounced.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:35 PM   #19

Yes I agree about the noise, I thought it was supposed to be better with the 20D than it is on indoor shots. I hope the flash will remedy the situation. Also I discovered uesterday that I had the IS turned off as I'd been using it on a tripod. No wonder they looked like they did! Too much stuff to remember when you first start using a DSLR!! I'm slowly getting it though!

I do intend to get a 50 1.8!

Digidiva
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:15 PM   #20

It looks like you started your photography adventure with a pretty powerfull weapon.

If I could suggest soemthing, I would start off by using the camera in full auto without IS turned on. Just so that you can become familiar with what you camera does naturally. You will eventually be able to determine your camewra's personality, like when it will underexpose, or how fast of a moving object can you capture without blur, etc. When you see a shot you really like or that came out bad look at the EXIF data to seee how the camera was set. You will start to reconize shooting conditions and will know exactly which manaul setting to set your camera to get the results you are looking for. Personally, I love softly blurred backgrounds. Some use wide appertures to get shallow depth of fields, I love telephoto's and distance from subject.

I generally shoot at the lowest ISO possible for lighting condition. But, I also try to keep aperture around F8 and shutter above 60 at wide angle and 80 or above when shooting tele (because I have entry level lenses,L-series lens are sharp thought the whole focal range, IS allows for slower shutter speeds).I only make exposure, flash, white balance adjustments,etc. (in camera) when I have to to correct a problem. Keep it simple....