Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:45 PM   #21

I was not having any trouble with the 20D using studio strobes and a flash meter :-)

I just added a "Sigma 500 DG Super" to my collection and so far do not yet see any exposure problems, but I normally set the flash at -1ev. I did this with my 420ez and 430ez on my EOS film bodies too.

:blah:I gave my Cichlids a new AquClear 500 filter, and they gave me the Sigma 500DG Super for Christmas.:blah:
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:29 PM   #22

Don't overlook the "Sigma 500 dg super", you can almost gettwo units for the price of one 580EX. And it does have built in wireless E-ttl, I think for up to four flash units at once. It dosen't automatically understand the 1.6 crop of the smaller sensors likethe 580ex does.

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
You will also love the 580EX flash. It has a nice even lighting especially when bounced.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Don't overlook the "Sigma 500 dg super", you can almost gettwo units for the price of one 580EX
Are many people using this flash on the Canon 20D? I couldn't imagine purchasing a high-end camera like the 20D and not get the Canon Flash designed for it. Not saying the Sigma is not a great Flash, but is it great on the 20D. My main reason for getting the 580EX is my plan to buy a 20D later. The 580EX has the plug for external power packs, this reduces recycle time at full discharge from 6 to 1.7 seconds and allows for over 400 flashes on one charge.

Advanced user's could probably figure out the Sigma on 20D. However, I think the 580 will be more automatic with E-ttl II. It is also faster and more powerfull to keep up with speed of 20D in burst mode. For me I hate having to make adjustments or fiddle around with equipment while shooting, I just want everything to work and that is worth the extra money.

I have both the 580 and the 420, I would recommend having the 580 on camera and a couple Sigma 500 dg Super's as slave to 580

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:54 PM   #24

I guess we define cameras differently, I mark my 20d as a mid-range prosumer body. The high-end is where the 1D'series lives. :blah:

I'm not sure the Sigma's can work as slaves to a 580, may be possible. They have 4 built in wireless channels, if it is the same channels Canon uses it might just work.

The Sigma has full Canon E-TTL in it andonce set to e-ttl mode it is a hands off operation.

Haven't checked into any of the other capabilities of the Sigma yet.

Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:56 PM   #25

Quote:
I'm not sure the Sigma's can work as slaves to a 580
I "assumed" this would work since NHL does this with his Canon 550ex and several Sigma's as slaves.

You are correct, the 20D really is not considered a "High-end" camera like the 1Ds. Butit seems as though it can do most of what thosecameras can do. Except for spot meter, full sized sensor, resolution and maybe some custom functions.

One day I may get a used 1DS if I had one, I would use the 580EX flash and only L-series lenses or primes. So why not get the best now and plan for the future. It's why I personally stay away from EF-S lenses.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:30 AM   #26

I have been shooting in Av mode mostly so I can use the larger aperture although it only goes down to 4. I haven't had manyproblems with outdoor photos and most of the flash shots were ok but I have to practice a lot on flash photography when the 580 arrives (tomorrow!) But your idea is a good one and I will try letting the camera set the exposure and see how it compares. I have several photography books and am aware of how exposure works and I do use the largest opening f4 to blur backgrounds and larger numbers for more depth of field.

On the subject of flashes, I considered the Sigma until I read some threads about it at dpreview.com and dedided to go ahead and get the Canon. Might as well do it right the first time! They have it for 398 at buydig.com, making it 379 after rebate.

Digidiva
Digidiva100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:30 AM   #27

Ah, if it is working for NHLusing the 550ex it would most probably work with the 580ex as well. :-)

I picked the 20d for the same reason, it is a fully capable camera that does everything I want, at a price I could afford(without being put out in the dog house :lol: )

I also agree about the lenses, it is best to get the best you can now. To avoid re-buying. I am only consideringone of the really short aps-c only lenses(10-xx, just to get the really wide angle again) and not yet decided on which one or which manufacturer. The other normal EF series lenses should continue working in the future.

With flashes I'm not sure how long they will last. I have several rather expensive back when they were bought, Canon EOS EZ series flashes, that stop working as the newer EX flash technologies came about. No guarantee the EX series will continue working as the next generation of cameras comes around with even newer technologies in them. :roll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by minutephotos.com
I "assumed" this would work since NHL does this with his Canon 550ex and several Sigma's as slaves.

You are correct, the 20D really is not considered a "High-end" camera like the 1Ds. But it seems as though it can do most of what those cameras can do. Except for spot meter, full sized sensor, resolution and maybe some custom functions.

[b]One day I may get a used 1DS if I had one, I would use the 580EX flash and only L-series lenses or primes. So why not get the best now and plan for the future. It's why I personally stay away from EF-S lenses.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 2:34 PM   #28

Quote:
I picked the 20d for the same reason, it is a fully capable camera that does everything I want, at a price I could afford(without being put out in the dog house :lol: )
I am trying my best not to run out and get this camera (YET). I have already seen it for as low as $1095. But, I just don't have enough business to justify this yet. Having better lenses and taking better photos could increase my profits more now without 20D. However, I have been considering adding larger prints than 8x10 to my products list. For now I will get L-series lens, shoot RAW and print as large as possible until need for larger file size comes up.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:56 PM   #29

Yes, depends on where you are here(inCanada)Costco will output 12*18 inch prints on Fuji Chrystal archive paper for 4.99$cdn aprint. I can't come even close to match that price with home printing a 13*19 on the epson 2200.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 2:40 AM   #30
NHL

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Yes, depends on where you are here(in Canada) Costco will output 12*18 inch prints on Fuji Chrystal archive paper for 4.99$cdn a print. I can't come even close to match that price with home printing a 13*19 on the epson 2200.
It's only $2.99 for us Yankee down south :-):-):-)
... incredible pricing on a 1-day turn, everyone should check theses 12x18 enlargements out!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote