Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:09 PM   #11

Out of focus is not the word I would use....but blurry or generally soft is. I have seen the same issues with a Fuji S2. Do digital SLR's presume you will fix everything in Photoshop ?
filmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:29 PM   #12

In camera sharpeningtends tonot as aggressive in the dslr's, you can always go in and adjust the sharpening and contrast settings to get more P&S like results.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 6:23 PM   #13

Mine has a focus problem too.

It goes beyond lack of sharpness, even with in-camera at +2
SmartWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:06 AM   #14

Hum, if it is the real back-focus problem some of the cameras have exhibited it probably needs to go for a visit the the Canon repair center for a realignment.

If you search the site there are a few threads on the back-focus problem, and what needed to be done to get it fixed.

It is 2am here and I may be using the wrong term for the problem :roll:. It is caused by the camera tryihg to focus some lenses not quite on the sensor.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:10 PM   #15

Hi all,

My camera is in for service. I am pretty sure that I am experiencing backfocus at shorter focul lenghts.

The below 2 photos were taken with a 70-200L F4 ( but I can reproduce similar photos with the 18-55), Av mode at F4, centre autofocus point. They were shot on a tripod in good enough lighting. There are four batteries, which are placed one after the other, with the second battery from the left slightly behind the left battery (which I AF focus on), third behind the second, fourth behind the third.

The first photo, is at 70mm, and as you can seethe fourth battery is the sharpest (the first battery which I focussed on is definetly not sharp nor in focus)

The second photo is at 200mm and looks good.

Happy for people to tell me I am wrong here or make user error suggestions (I guess I will hear back from Canon soon enough) but this looks like back focussing to me. I have reproduced it many times.

Attached Images

timmyB is offline   Reply With Quote