Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 22, 2004, 8:26 AM   #1

I am thinking about getting a digital rebel since the price is so good on it now. The new 20D reviews are tempting me however. Is it worth the extra money for the 20D for the amerature photographer
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:25 AM   #2

What will you take pictures of? Be specific!

Kids running around? Jewlry for ebay sales? Family portrates? Holiday snaps? Landscapes? Race cars? Kids soccer games? In what light? Indoor gyms? Outdoor sunny shots? Will you use a hot-shoe flash a lot? Not at all?

Do you have any experience with film cameras? With other digitals?

All of these will make a HUGE difference.
I believe I would find the interface on the DRebel to be annoying. I haven't used it, but from what I've read it sounds clunky and annoying. Like it would get in the way of taking pictures. But that is just me, it might not bother you at all.

For many people, the DRebel is more than enough camera... for others it isn't enough. This is what we will try to figure out.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 1:52 PM   #3

Like Eric said... it would be helpful with a little more info on what you plan on using your camera for...

I personally just moved from a DRebel to a 20D last week. I shoot gymnastics and here are my reasons:

1) More control of AF (faster too and better in low light)
2) Higher ISO setting (3200) and clearer too!
3) 5 fps with a good size buffer (23 or so frames) Big improvement of DRebel

My DRebel served me well... I was tempted by the speed and cleaner high ISO... and of course the extra megapixels come in handy when i'm cropping... :G

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 8:28 PM   #4

I have been torturing myself over the same descision. To move from the
Drebel to 20D. My prime use is nature photography, including insects,
birds, animals, wildflowers and also scenic photos. The fast turn on and
fast wake from sleep are a plus. But in and of itself is not worth the extra
bucks. The biggest thing is image quality. Given a properly exposed
image on both, at ISO 200 or 400, will the 20D give a signifigantly better
image or just a subtly better image? BTW, the lenses to be used are the
EF 100-400L IS USM and the EF 17-40L USM.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 6:59 AM   #5

woodmeister wrote:
Quote:
The biggest thing is image quality. Given a properly exposed
image on both, at ISO 200 or 400, will the 20D give a signifigantly better
image or just a subtly better image?
I'm not sure on the ISO 200/400 range. I know the higher ISOs are noticably improved (800/1600 plus the addition of 3200). The other feature of the 20D that you might find handy is mirror lock-up...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 9:52 AM   #6

The Rebel sings, the 20 ROCKS. I have the 20 and came from a Pentax film cam. What a difference. Anyway, over the Rebel, the 20 has faster switch time [ really useful when you want the catch some wildlife or kids] more megs for when you want to enlarge, more advanced options to grow into. You can't go wrong with either, but if you can do it, go with the 20.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:33 AM   #7

woodmeister,
You'd probably benefit from the faster AF. The higher resolution will only be helpful if you make big prints or crop your pictures some.

I don't find the noise much better at ISO200 & 400 over the 10D, which has the same sensor as the DRebel.

The only reason I upgraded was that I sold my 10D for a good price, which cut the 20D in 1/2. For $700 it was worth the ugprade. I shoot exclusively wildlife and the faster AF is a godsend.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:03 PM   #8

I've went from the 300D to the 10D, and now the 20D. I am really crazy about the speed of the new 20D. I'm the type that is a gadget freak, and I like to know that I'm using the latest techno stuff. The 300D did most of what I really need a camera to do though, but I'd never consider trading down to the 10D or 20D (still have the 10D). The extra 2MP is great when you do croppoing of larger prints. The 20D is great for cropped 13X19 inch prints. When I switch the 20D on, it's ready to shoot faster than I can get it to eye level. Lot of bang for the bucks. The only reason that the Nikon D70 beat out the 20D as the "Popular Photography" digital SLR of the year is because the 20D wasn't released soon enough to be considered. ..John
JKAyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:49 PM   #9

Thanks for all the great comments.

I have had quitea bit of Film SLR experience from the past but that has been quite a few years ago. I do have a Digital camera but the one disappointment is the ability to use a High ISO and still get a good clear shot without a lot of noise. The one thing I really like in a standard Digital Camera that the DSLRs dont have is the ability to compose the shot on the LCD screen. Maybe one day one of the DSLR manufactures will work that out so the screen can't only be used to review shots. Im sure some purist will disagree with that as I have had some SLR photographers use my Digicam and they always go for the viewfinder over the screen.

I mostly shoot images of children. Usually moving. I do some Macro, landscape, wildlife photos. Its just a hobby for me that I really enjoy but I am really not that great at composing shots. I have had four different digicams and have exhausted their manual capabilities so I was thinking it was time to take a step up to DSLR. Its diappointing to shoot indoor events with a standard digicam where you end up with blurry shots due to a slow shutter speed or unreasonable noise trying to offset the speed by raising the ISO.

It sounds like one of the big improvements is the speed by the comments here and that may be enough reason to take a step up. The extra resolution would be a nice benefit since cropping would help offset my composition skills.

I appreciate your responses!

host is offline   Reply With Quote