Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 23, 2004, 7:13 AM   #1

Does anybody know about tests being madeby different lenses on full frame bodies, especially wide angle? How does 16-35L work on eos 1 ds? or 24 /1.4 L ?
marko e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:35 AM   #2

The 16-35L would work very well on the 1Ds MkII. It is a very good lens. One of the best at that focal length.

I don't know of any tests being done like you describe. It does matter that it is full frame, though, because they will detect imperfections on the edges of the lens that the smaller sensors won't detect.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:11 AM   #3

What i mean is- how does a lens (especially wa due to short rear DOF) functions on a cmos that is not as flat as film. There are tests madeon nikon F70 showing that 17-35/2.8 (simillar to 16/35L) does not work as good as some cheaper lenses of the same angleetc...Some tests showed that using 50/4 CFE for Hasselblad on new 16mp Ixpress back gives unsatisfactory results- corner sharpness problems mostlyonCMOS 1.5X ( 4X4 cm )smaller than film(50/4 on film is one of the best retrofocus lenses on film-while it seems that new 40/4CFE is made especially for digital backs....I dont know exactly why these problems occur, but before buying 1ds, anda set of lenses,i'd like to know are there some comparison tests made? It could easilly happen that some lenses, in WA choice, should not be used. It's a waist of money to havea 16mp cameraand bad performing lenses, however expensive.

What is Rebel meaning?
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:11 AM   #4

What i mean is- how does a lens (especially wa due to short rear DOF) functions on a cmos that is not as flat as film. There are tests madeon nikon F70 showing that 17-35/2.8 (simillar to 16/35L) does not work as good as some cheaper lenses of the same angleetc...Some tests showed that using 50/4 CFE for Hasselblad on new 16mp Ixpress back gives unsatisfactory results- corner sharpness problems mostlyonCMOS 1.5X ( 4X4 cm )smaller than film(50/4 on film is one of the best retrofocus lenses on film-while it seems that new 40/4CFE is made especially for digital backs....I dont know exactly why these problems occur, but before buying 1ds, anda set of lenses,i'd like to know are there some comparison tests made? It could easilly happen that some lenses, in WA choice, should not be used. It's a waist of money to havea 16mp cameraand bad performing lenses, however expensive.

What is Rebel meaning?
Old Dec 24, 2004, 9:29 AM   #5

this is with a 1Ds and a 17-40 f4.0L1/20s f/4.0 at 17.0mm iso640 handheld

both have been replaced with a 1Dsmk2 and a 16-35 2.8L now

larger image for inspection and exif datais available at:

http://www.pbase.com/crusader/image/27874865/original

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote